Hey lads

bohrio

Just wanted to say hello

I have been reading this forum for a while (specially the blue spotted jawfish section) so I thought I should take a moment to say hello

I am new at this, I have got my first aquarium last xmas as a present from my wife. It was the typical freshwater aquarium pack (54 l or 15 gallons). Before I added anything I decided to read and gathered as much information as possible. I then learnt about cycling, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc. So I inmediately decided I wanted a planted aquarium, upgrade everything, filters, lights, co2 etc. In a couple of months I upgraded to a bigger aquarium (freshwater again). Now I have 5 aquariums in my small apartment. Before the missus divorces me I decided I will get rid off 2 of them, so I will only keep my marine, my marine hospital tank and my 60 g FW aquarium.

So as this is a reef aquarium lets just talk about my marine. Its a nano aquarium that it was custom made to fit in a bookshelf. As usual it all started with some live rock, live sand and an external filter. I waited over 2 months before I added anything to the aquarium. Then I added the cleaning crew, few snails (including nassarius) and a skunk cleaner. A couple of weeks later I added my first pair of clownfish. Two tiny snowflakes the size of a nickle. Then my precious pearl jawfish, by far my favorite fish, greatest personality. After that I added a few corals. Then I went on holidays for a week, and when I came back, well, the automated feeder had dropped its entire content inside the aquarium and killed every fish/shrimp inside.

So after a few days of not sure what I wanted to do I decided to rebuild the tank, I ordered a custom built sump, so I would have more space in my display tank as well as having the possibility of adding a skimmer. So far I am very happy with the result. My main priority is to make the tank as much jawfish friendly as possible... I will upload a few pictures of how I made my tank as much jawfish friendly as I could later... I only have 4 posts so far so I can't upload any pics yet :S

So thanks for reading hope it wasnt too boring!

:)

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! Glad that you didn't give it up after the horrible crash.

Akshay

Blue spotted Jawfish... for the first additions in ur tank...u sure are lucky to have these! Waiting for the pics (do post old tank pics too) :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

bohrio

Hey!

So as promised a couple of pictures of my first setup

Very simple nothing fancy just a couple of snowflakes and my lovely jellowfish. A couple of cleaners, a pom pom crab, few snails, also an elegance coral, star polyps and a Xenia.

2013-08-07+18.52.07.jpg

I miss that little jawfish, he had such a great personality.

bernardo.png

And this is all there was left after the incident with the automated feeder

allleft.png

I went so close to selling everything... but in the end, I decided to give it another go, I'd learn from my mistakes and make sure I wouldnt make the again... The new aquarium looks more or less the same but I have made lots of improvements, I will create a new thread in the tank section as I feel it might be more appropriate!

Thanks everyone

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
Sorry to hear that, glad your giving it another go! We all seem to learn the hard way or have at least one horrific story.

bohrio

hey gasturbineguy

The sump was made in Ireland (obviously I live in ireland!) in a place called Seahorse Aquariums.

Here is a pic of the sump

sump.png

the sump is very small, probably around 10 G of real water volumen.

The reason I got them to build one was because I wanted to free up some space in my aquarium and add a skimmer.

At the moment the sump looks like this

2013-10-12+17.35.55.jpg

I use it to run the skimmer, a small refugium with a bit of algae (I also have a chili coral and a few button polyps living there as well as a big black mithrax crab that came as a hitchhiker in my live rock when I first got the aquarium), the heater, a UV sterilizer and the seneye monitoring probe, and that's about it. Next week I will add a topup system (I am constantly add water to my tank) and new lights as well as a cooler. I havent finished with it, I need to increase the sand bed depth and buy a backup pump/heater.

Here is the full picture with the nano tank, the nano sump, the UV sterilizer is on top of the sump, besides the laptop
2013-10-13+18.54.50.jpg

Thanks AquaFX, you are right, I hope I learnt my lesson... coming back home after my holidays wasnt a pretty picture :(

... The sump was made in Ireland (obviously I live in ireland!) in a place called Seahorse Aquariums....

Very nice setup there! I like the offset sump, it's something my upcoming build will have, albeit mine will be about 18" off the floor for easier access.

I did some traveling, or drinking as it were, in Ireland in my Navy days. Our destroyer used to pull into Cobh when passing by, enroute to the gulf. Got as far as Cork when my buddies and I realized we were bound for trouble and headed back to the ship. The dark beer and pale women... fond memories lol.

Be glad you didn't quit the hobby, you got a knack for it. :wave: