Hey Everyone! rsm 250 suggestions

Jason Gordon

I am new to reef sanctuary and relatively new to the hobby. I have a rsm 250 that I have set up and have made a few mods already from videos I have seen online. At the moment I am trying to find a new protein skimmer that will fit in the back. I know the Deltec mc 250 does but I have noticed it has been discontinued so unless I find a used one I will be stuck. Does anyone have any ideas for other skimmers that would work in the 250?

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS Jason! I know that the Red Sea peeps will help you out shortly.

melvis

I've just bought a Tunze DOC 9001 for my C130 but you might want to check out the 9004 as I think that might be better suited to the 250.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

many have good luck with the stock skimmer ... water level & gate height is the key, if this helps

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I changed skimmers when I added my LifeReef sump/fuge that sits in the cabinet below my tank. My stock skimmer honestly did as good a job as the LifeReef Skimmer is doing.
I can fully understand why everyone want a SUPER GREAT SKIMMER.
Just hard to find one that fits & lives up to expectations.
And it is very expensive to buy one to see if it's a good one. :confused:
I hope someone can help you out with this.
Here's a photo of my stock RSM 250 Skimmer in action:
image.jpg
It really did a good job but took some time to get it adjusted.

Jason Gordon

Thank you both for your input. At this point I think I will give the 9004 a try because I want to try and save some space in the back to add a media tumbler. Crosses fingers that one will fit after. On a bit of a funny note I went to my kinda local fish store yesterday (hour away). When I showed the store managers a video of my tank they commented "dang they are fat" LOL. She continued to say looked as if everyone was doing good. We have been trying to get floating debris/micro bubbles under control. This is the point I wish I knew someone other than me locally that could come over and look at it and be like Oh this is your problem. But like I said work in progress.

pablomay28

Sidebar - I did PM StevieT (inTank owner & RS sponsor) Stevie did tell me a Tunze 9004 will fit a RSM 250

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=9004

Anyone running one in a RSM 250?

The Tunze 9004 is rated for tanks 15-65 gallons. The RSM 250 is on the max side of the skimmers capacity. Will that skimmer be to small? I thought it was always better to go +1 on skimmers. If it does work I see a lot of RSM 250 owners going that route. Tunze products are awesome and at 4w it will not contribute much heat to the tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It would be only rated for the tank size & most do prefer skimmers rate 50% plus more...

but if someone thinks they can't get their stock skimmer to perform, this might be an option

we seem to see lots of good reviewd on the RSM 130/130D (34 gallon tanks) about the 9001 skimmer and it's rated for up to 37 gallons

Would love to see a review !

Last edited:

newo11

at 4w it will not contribute much heat to the tank.

This is actually a bigger consideration in the RSM250 tanks. With the enclosed hoods, close proximity of the lighting to the water (whether stock T-5s or LED retrofits) and the heat generated by the stock skimmer and pumps, these tanks tend to hold heat more than others. So - a skimmer pump that does not contribute much heat is something to consider (which may not be a consideration in a non-RSM250).

However - this is not the primary consideration when choosing a new skimmer. Most important is how efficient the skimmer will be for your planned stock level. If the Tunze 9004 does work efficiently even though the RSM250 is on the high end of its rated range, this could be a very interesting option.

Just some food for thought - the stock skimmer is actually really good once you get it dialed in correctly.

pablomay28

It would be only rated for the tank size & most do prefer skimmers rate 50% plus more...

but if someone thinks they can't get their stock skimmer to perform, this might be an options

we seem to see lots of good reviewd on the RSM 130/130D (34 gallon tanks) about the 9001 skimmer and it's rated for up to 37 gallons

Would love to see a review !
Id love to see it in a RSM 250 its a cheaper option than going with an external sump, skimmer, and return pump like I did.