Here we go NEW BUILD!!!!!

carlagracie

Alright its time we have made up our minds. After going to our lfs today to get a quote we came home and are now moving our small living room around for our 90 gallon setup. Unfortunately where we want the tank our TV currently sits in that spot. We need to call Directv tomorrow and have them come out and move the cables under the house about 10 feet to the spot where we want it. We will go buy everything hopefully as soon as we get our directv moved. Went to The Fish Doctors in Ypsilanti MI this afternoon to look around and get a qutoe for what we want. We already have a stand and canopy that we are going to use. Here is the breakdown that was presented to us.

90 Gallon Deep Blue Drilled
Deep Blue 48x18 glass lid
36x12x17 Refugium
Triton 4 return pump
square foam block
bucket of reef crystals
300 watt marineland heater
2 bags of ocean live sand
therometer
80 pounds of Fiji live cured rock
and a few odds and ends such as hoses.

We liked the price we were giving but the price doesnt include lights or a skimmer. The lights we decided on are Kessil A350W 2 of them which are $300 each!. They had them setup on their tanks and she let me adjust the knobs for color and I absolutely loved them. I was told 2 would be more than enough for my tank. Does that sound about right? Also another item that I wont get right away because I was told I could wait until I stock it is a protein skimmer. When I do get one I believe I will go with a ASM Mini G. I do need to buy an RO/DI unit and have not decided where to order that from. So far does this list sound good as far as everything listed? How about the lights? Do I need a glass top or not? I forgot to ask that question but I noticed most of their tanks didnt have a top. I will be posting pictures as soon as I get started to show my progress. Please feel free to add to the list or if you have any input please let me know. Thank you all so much!.

StirCrayzy

Skip the glass top, and where exactly does the foam block go? I'm guess ing at the inlet of your sump? If so, skip that too and go with filter socks instead, much easier to maintain than foam, and BRS has some simple hang on sock holders cheap.
Also look there for RODI systems, they have some of the most all inclusive and cost effective options.

I don't see a return pump on your list, I would be looking for at least 900-1200 gph sump turnover.
Then for InTank flow, what powerheads do you plan on using?

Can't wait to see some pics, but be patient. I think you'll appreciate waiting to pick a skimmer and install / tweak position before the whole thing is running.

DaveK

I don't see any problems with you equipment selection. I would add the skimmer right off though. As for the glass cover, you can go either way. I prefer one since it tends to keep the carpet surfer fish insider the tank, but other prefer an open top.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Might check on the skimmer - ASM Mini G... if I am looking at the right one, I believe it is rated for a Tank Size (Gal): 75 Gal

seems most recommend one rated for a tank bigger than what you have...

Look forward to seeing your new build ! :)

Blndbunny

I'd add the skimmer right at the begining, this let is break in while your tank cycles. I'm getting glass lids for my new tank, but may change out to mesh at a later date. I won't do an open tank after losing a couple expensive fish to carpet surfing, plus I'm thinking of adding a wrasse at some point and they like to jump

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had a very similar set-up to the one you're describing for several years and LOVED it. Here are my own personal thoughts:

1) Add skimmer during initial set-up. Make SURE that you have enough room to remove the skimmer collection cup before you make everything PERMAMENT! You can add a "Remote drain kit" to it but it's nice to be able to remove the cup for occasional cleaning even with the remote drain kit.

2) I love the ASM skimmers but that one is rated for smaller tanks. It's normally suggested to get one rated for 2x tank capacity and that's always worked well for me in the past.

3) You want to add a quality refractometer to your list of must have items.

4) I would skip the glass tops.... especially if you plan to do coral at any time. Water droplets will redirect and dirty glass tops will obscure light penetration into the tank and with coral this is "No Bueno". Instead get one of the "Net Top Kits" now available from BRS. I made my own from a screen kit from Lowe's but the one mentioned above is MUCH better. You won't regret it.

5) I like redundancy so I used a pair of 200W heaters instead of one larger heater.

6) You will need a return pump and when calculating which one you'll need to know what your desired GPH of flow is and also don't forget to factor in Head Loss due to head height. I ran a Mag18 (1800gph but with a 7' head loss was only 1300gph) and it worked GREAT. Keep in mind I was running a SUMP and Refugium and I dialed back the flow into the refugium because they need slowly flow to allow for "Dwell time". Just don't forget to calculate Head Loss into the equation.

carlagracie

Thanks for all the info. I have been so busy at work this week. We were suppose to go today but just got home form work about 20 minutes ago. If we cant get out tomorrow then it will have to wait until this weekend. Looking at an RO/DI right now where is the best place to buy one? My lfs only has RO systems in stock.

carlagracie

Leaving lfs now!!!! I will have pictures posted later this evening! Only had the one kessil light in stock and they will order the other one tomorrow and I should have it later this week. Also didn't get the live rock because I bought an ro/di unit and need to get water in there first. Can't wait we are very excited!

carlagracie

aca3aebee93ddf2c0b142b5eeecb4dce.jpg
5 stage ro/di unit just got hooked up 25 minutes ago. TDS 411 before now at 0!
1437ca0d66a25ffa75b31ab653884d38.jpg
what an awesome light!

carlagracie

411 !?!? Are you on a well?
I thought Detroit water was bad mine comes in at 130.

Yes I am on a well with SUPER hard water. That 411 is with a water softener also. Well water is bad here in Milan MI. Had the RO/DI unit on for about 12 hours now and only have about 15 gallons of water. Water pressure isnt that high here so maybe thats slowing it down. On the bright side the water is 0 TDS!!!!

StirCrayzy

You'll probably want to get some extra filters and DI resin handy, they won't last very long.
good call on the 5stage unit !

carlagracie

With this tank being in the living room and using the 2 Kessil A350W should I use a glass top and sit the lights directly on the glass or go go without a glass top and hang the lights?

carlagracie

Finally got the water in it enough to get power head running with the heater. Will be adding the 80 pounds of live sand tomorrow along with the live rock! Still waiting for my other kessil to arrive. What a long process!
650c413b6ad78a22704ed133410a97b8.jpg