Here I go The Spotted Manderin

prow

dont fret, not every larvae is expected to make it, even in the best of conditions. keep on keeping on...:D

Frankie

RS STAFF
Been tagging along on this one. Sorry for the loss Kevin, you will succeed I have no doubt. Just keep trying. I have 2 ten gallons laying around if you ever need them for the project. Let me know and you can come get them.

surfzone

thanks for all the support everyone. this morning brought about an odd behavior. i notice that there where about 10 larvae at the bottom of the bowl and a few minutes later i came back to find that all of them have gotten up and resumed normal swimming behavior and eating habits. i fed the tank it's morning feeding like normal and posted about it on MOFIB. Maybe i can get a few answers there.

surfzone

today marks day 12 and i see two little ones who are sticking to the bottom they will hope from time to time, but stay still for the most part almost as if waiting to ambush something. they are both fat, but I'm not sure if something is wrong with them. I'll try to get some pics to post in a little bit. they are both sticking to the back where a picture is virtually impossible.

surfzone

According to replies from MOFIB this behavior that I'm seeing in these larvae is settlement of the larvae into juvenile fish. I'm not 100% on this but if so I did it. just got to keep up the work that i have been doing.

jski711

Congrats!!! That's awesome. I would agree with what was said on mofib. They are really serious on that forum (about breeding fish) and there are some very smart people who really know a ton about breeding. Good luck and pics are always great.

Jake

surfzone

as by request here are some pics taken tonight

The bottom dwellers are sticking to the back where all pics come out as a blured mess

manderins027.jpg

manderins026.jpg

and what they are all being raised in

manderins025.jpg

surfzone

to start i had about 100 pluss eggs to start with about a 95% hatch rate. as of now i have about 20 left. I think my major downfall is in the rearing vessel being too small.

Intranick

I hope the rest of them make it. thats awesome that you're raising them~ mandarines are amazing and beautiful fish, but too many of them die with poor care. I think tank raised would survive better

bratyboy2

not a doubt in my mind that these little guys will make it!!! YOU DID IT!!!! YOU HAVE BABY MANDARINS!!!:swmfishim so pumped to maybe get a pair and see what i can do. am i still number one on the list to get one?

surfzone

there still isn't a list of much anything right now only 8 have settled and the rest are all swimming around. the ones that have settled are no bigger than a grane of rice if that large.