Here I go The Spotted Manderin

surfzone

so here is a pic of one of the settled fish

manderins028.jpg

vdituri

Congrats man! Tonz o' cosmic karma to you!
I can't express how awesome it it that you have gotten this far!
Onwards and upwards!

:bluenod:

SeaMunky

lol..I can just imagine...Did you know when you got them that they were a pair?..Is their any way of knowing?...How do they spawn?..DO they lay on glass?

surfzone

lol..I can just imagine...Did you know when you got them that they were a pair?..Is their any way of knowing?...How do they spawn?..DO they lay on glass?

I bought the male out of pitty. he was thin and wouldn't take frozen foods in the LFS. I knew that I had a large enough system to support him so I bought him for $15 back in January if I remember correctly. I soon added two 6x6x6 egg crate bins and filled it with Live Rock Rubble so that there would be sufficent pod production in the tank for him. I bought the Female back in May. She was much smaller and just like the male she was thin and not taking frozen foods. In she went and by the end of May she was big and fat. I didn't have the intention to breed them and honestly I thought that if they started to spawn then it would be a good source of food for corals. Mandarins are palagic spawners and release spawn in the water colume. I first noticed courting behavior and a spawn in July. I didn't do too much in the way of trying to raise these eggs because I didn't have the means to. So i would collect the floating eggs and watch them develop and grow. by day 4 they would all die so i thought that feeding should take place at day 3.

SeaMunky

Wow really eh..thats awesome...You have done a great job with these little guys...thanks for the info, I always wondered how it worked with them..

sandyc

I bought the male out of pitty. he was thin and wouldn't take frozen foods in the LFS. I knew that I had a large enough system to support him so I bought him for $15 back in January if I remember correctly. I soon added two 6x6x6 egg crate bins and filled it with Live Rock Rubble so that there would be sufficent pod production in the tank for him. I bought the Female back in May. She was much smaller and just like the male she was thin and not taking frozen foods. In she went and by the end of May she was big and fat. I didn't have the intention to breed them and honestly I thought that if they started to spawn then it would be a good source of food for corals. Mandarins are palagic spawners and release spawn in the water colume. I first noticed courting behavior and a spawn in July. I didn't do too much in the way of trying to raise these eggs because I didn't have the means to. So i would collect the floating eggs and watch them develop and grow. by day 4 they would all die so i thought that feeding should take place at day 3.

Would you mind posting a picture of your egg crate pod pile? I set up something similiar recently and am wondering if I did it correctly. I took a small tupperware container and drilled many holes in it filled it with rubble and then turned it upside down. Did you leave your crate open side up or down? I also added a container of pods from reeds mariculture.

surfzone

it would be hard to get a pic of it since the bins now reside in the rock work, but i left the tops open so that if i needed to move it i could.

sandyc

it would be hard to get a pic of it since the bins now reside in the rock work, but i left the tops open so that if i needed to move it i could.

Thanks. I had turned mine upside down but it would be easier the other way. I have mine set in the corner but it makes sence to hide it in the rock. You have given me a few ideas.

surfzone

Today marks day 19
on day17 i introduced bbs to the diet and today they are feeding on just bbs, i have moved them to the 5 gallon tank and i can only keep track of two of them. looks like the remainder didn't make it. Such is life sometimes. I haven't attempted another spawn purely because my rotifer cultures crashed at day 18 and i wasn't sure if the cultures could sustain another spawn at the moment.

surfzone

i wish i could but i can't my last three kicked it on day 19. right now i'm trying to get my rotifers back up to par and then i'll go for round 2