HELP! HELP!!!

soco

Ok so just a second ago I noticed that the center brace had snap on the new tank!!!!; is this as serious as I think it is?!?!?!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

soco

a6a051b101392acf524439d6321dea9c.jpg
1276b02d9a83e738a896270ff96ea3c4.jpg

Oxylebius

First, look to see if the silicon on the tank is still in place and solid. You don't want to fill that tank if the silicon is messed up.

Secondly, I'm not sure if this is used for the support of the tank. Likely not. So, the tank should be fine. But, look into this if you can. Especially if this is a bow front tank. It might be used to support the front of the bowed part of the tank. My bow front tank has this plastic as well. Now I'm wondering if it is used to help support the tank.

Lastly, does this support any light fixture? This is where you may have issues.

Brien

I doubt it was a structural brace but more for your lights. You should be able to silicon it back on.

DaveK

Yes, it's serious. The center brace is structural and keeps the sides from bowing out. Since it's a new tank, return it to your LFS. This break should not occur. The center brace wouldn't be there if it wasn't needed.

IMHO, the others telling you that this is not a serious problem are incorrect.

StirCrayzy

what size tank 46bow ? 1/4" glass? this is likely to be structural support for the top center of the glass, and should not be overlooked as merely lighting support. the tank manufacturer would not incur the extra cost if it wasnt required. I had a 40g 1/4" glass without brace, and the center was deflected by 1/4"vs corner measurement. that was not a comfortable feeling, and partly why I got rid of it.

I would make a plastic plate that spans a couple inches on the remaining lip of the broken edge and run some ( 6-8 total) small stainless bolts through the center brace and the sides next to the broken lip.
you want to keep the distance from changing between front and rear panes or the glass will deform and eventually fail.

soco

Ya after some research it's Def structural. The tank is full of water and not new so I can't take it back.its broken very close to the side so I don't know if I can fix it with plastic like u were saying

soco

I'm still trying to figure out how it broke to begin with

StirCrayzy

It was probably lifted from the brace, or someone leaned on it. Definately fixable, but dont bother with superglue, epoxy, or silicone.
i'll try a sketchup of a plate layout later. its probably your best bet.

Coraljunkie

Definitely structural, easy way to tell is when the tank is empty it will be flimsy once you fill it the brace will be tight with stress from the tank. If kept full long enough without the brace you'll likely have a seam explode.

Coraljunkie

It's gonna be difficult to fix it because it's so close to the edge, their's not much space to make a solid connection. My opinion I think your best bet is to get a new tank. If you can't then maybe you can find the top trim with brace and take a razor blade and remove the old top trim and silicone the new piece in place.

soco

It was probably lifted from the brace, or someone leaned on it. Definately fixable, but dont bother with superglue, epoxy, or silicone.
i'll try a sketchup of a plate layout later. its probably your best bet.
Ok thanks!

soco

It's gonna be difficult to fix it because it's so close to the edge, their's not much space to make a solid connection. My opinion I think your best bet is to get a new tank. If you can't then maybe you can find the top trim with brace and take a razor blade and remove the old top trim and silicone the new piece in place.
Ya I'm thinkin this tank is shot. Sux tho cause bows are not cheap :-(

DaveK

If your up for a big DIY task, you can contact the manufacturer and see if a replacement frame is available. If the tank is still in production, is should be, although manufacturers sometimes don't like to admit it.

You have to carefully remove the old frame. It'd siliconed on, so this often means cutting the frame in places to remove it. Then you remove all the old silicone and install the replacement frame.

I'm not too big a fan of trying to repair a frame or install a brace. It's really hard to get this just right.

As for replacing the tank. This can be done too, It's somewhat expensive, but you know you have it fixed then.

soco

Thanks Dave ur always around to lay some knowledge down lol. Ya i am a diy guy but this tank is causing me too much trouble in gunna try to find a new one. I just don't wanna worry every day that something is wrong. I already re-siliconed the whole thing so maybe I screwed something up. I'm not gunna mess with it anymore. I'm on Craigslist trying to find something. It sux I liked the bowfront but o well.

StirCrayzy

Whoa I should've refreshed the page before my last post !
I definitely would shoot for the 65 above !
for $150 it's tough to beat.

soco

This is what I would do instead of scrapping the tank.
Green is the plate, dots are nuts/bolts. Don't use screws.
That gives me a real good idea of what I would need to do but I don't think I wanna risk it. This tank leaked and I Re silicone it now this brace cracked... I'm nervous to keep fixing it. There is a good black Friday sale today at petsmart I'm a go check it out.