Help

ASH

Confused

So I just got home and looked at my fish (the one that i thought had ich). Now I don't see any white spots on either of the fish....I know it's not possible for the ich to just go away so maybe it's not ich???

I just did a 10% water change just to be safe and make the nitrate and nitrites go down a little.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It can come and go pretty quickly at least visibly but usually what you "SEE" is the result of the ich. It's a small parasite that is under the skin and causes a sore type of spot. I don't think it can simply vanish that quick.

Hope you're hanging in there. We are trying to help you and your new found friends :)

Allen :)

lcstorc

The spots can appear and disappear very quickly.
One of my tangs had the spots every morning for about a month. Afternoon he was fine. The spots are just the most visible symptom. Do an image search on ich and see if that is what you saw. It looks like someone sprinkeled the fish with sugar or something. Little speckles everywhere. Ich does not just go away. The spots can come and go.
HTH

kyrie_eleison

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ashley,

This thread is about an age old problem EVERY saltwater aquarist/hobbyist encounters at one time or another. I've used that "No-Ich" medication that you're using. It does work...to an extent. HOWEVER, you have to do a number of things. I've also used "Ich-Attack"; just as effective. First, you have to leave your skimmer off and remove your carbon. These are options that many of us are leary of. The meds work but are not very good options b/c they're not 100% effective and even if you are able to treat the tank with success it will have cost you TOO much to be worth the effort. NO-Ich is EXPENSIVE! And there's no guarantee to it.

Every hobbyist here and in other forums will give you similar advice and most will have nothing to do with harsh medications. The most EFFECTIVE way of treating this age old parasite is to CATCH THE FISH and quarantine it/them. A 30 gallon should suffice for this purpose; lower your specific gravity/salinity (gradually) over a period of a week until it's approximately 1.008 (use a refractometer; it's more accurate). Let your tank go fallow for a period of no less than 4 weeks (month) meanwhile your fish are being treated by hyposalinity during this same time frame. This method kills two birds with one stone (so to speak); actually it's more like, killing one parasite with two methods.

This works. Your inverts/corals should be fine in the tank by themselves since cryptocaryon does not survive without a fish host. In addition to this, I recommend...no I INSIST you do some research on the cryptocaryon irritan protozoan parasite. Understand the biology of the life cycle and what must be done in order to annihilate such a horrific pest.

Good luck.

ASH

The fish are doing fine I guess. I've been watching them today and I haven't saw them scratch against the rocks and I can't see any "visible" spots. But i'm sure it's still there.

But on the sweet side of things I can't stop watching my domino damsel love up against condi. That's so damn cute!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The fish are doing fine I guess. I've been watching them today and I haven't saw them scratch against the rocks and I can't see any "visible" spots. But i'm sure it's still there.

But on the sweet side of things I can't stop watching my domino damsel love up against condi. That's so damn cute!!!!
:lurk:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh I Was being silly.. you commented on how you LOVED watching the damsel rub against the condi so I left you a tub of popcorn :)

Allen

ASH

Yea I have them quite often...So i have this huge cleaner shrimp. when i feed my fish he swims up the top of the water to eat the food instead of eating off the bottom...he's my little piggy....so i just feed my condi and the piggy shrimp jumped on it trying to get the food!!!

KodiakBear

so i just fed my condi and the piggy shrimp jumped on it trying to get the food!!!
I had the same problem with a Banded Coral Shrimp scavenging for food on a Goniopora. Eventually I had to take him back to the LFS since he was doing more harm than good in my tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think her Karma jumped more by WHO gives her karma than anything else. When someone with a LOT of Karma gives you Karma you get more than someone with just a little karma. It's a percentage but I can't remember what %. so I'd have to say her picture didn't do anything for her Karma.

Allen