Help with lights

DaveK

With no specs on the light, it's hard to tell if it's any good on not. The price is low so I wonder how good it really is. Since you don't know the actual manufacturer, if there is a problem, it's all yours.

I would ask, what sort of tank do you plan to use it on? As best the LEDs are being run at about 2w which is considered low, but for some tanks this could be ok, especially nanos or tanks with soft corals.

The price does make it tempting. I would get it for a nano or other small tank. You don't have much to loose. Consider it a throw away item it it doesn't work out. If I wanted it for a large tank, and would need a lot, I'd get once and see for myself. If it seemd good, then I'd order the rest I'd need.

sirrealism

Re: Sorry Dave

what size tank are they going over and how many. I have that unit and though it makes my corals look great, My sps are not as happy as I would like. Zoas and LPS love it. I have that light over a 40b

sirrealism

I posted in your other thread about these. I have one over a 40b and all but my high end SPS love it. My high end SPS are not happy and I have been trying to get it dialed in but cant seem to find that sweet spot. I have been using LEDS for several years now and know that SPS can be kept under them "I grow great sticks under AI soles" but not this light. Because the 40b is a grow out frag tank and I do have a lot of SPS in it I am going back to T5s on this tank

tank stalker

Well I was going to get one for my 30 gallon to see how it does. If it did well I would be gettin 2 for a65 and 2 for a 75

Stalking a tank near you

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
**Threads merged**

This helps keep the forum clean as well as to cause less confusion for people who are following and/or trying to help.

tank stalker

Thanks big al .....morals and fish..so a mixed tank I guess. I have my 30 running and doing well with led from fluval with mushrooms, brain, montipora

Stalking a tank near you

reefer gladness

Another classic example of getting what you pay for when it comes to LED lighting. This unit combines 7 colors on 2 dimming channels while the high-end units allow individual control over each color of LED. This is critical if you're trying to tune the spectrum.

48 x 3-watt LED but the unit draws 120 watts max. This tells you the current is restricted to 2.5 watts per LED. Not terrible, I've seen similar units that drive them much lower. Cooling is the critical factor here, good cooling is required to drive LED's to their maximum output without burning them out prematurely.

sirrealism

Yes the issue with this light is lack of controlability. I think it could be a good light but 2 channels just doesnt cut it

sirrealism

If you dont have plans on getting into acros then this light is fine. It grows everything else really well. Just missing something in the controls for acros. I have thought about taking it apart and putting the UV LEDs on the Blue channel as I believe that is the issue

NanaReefer

Check out Reef Radiance! Awesome controllability, great prices that won't break the bank and great customer service. I love mine :)

reefer gladness

Check out Reef Radiance! Awesome controllability, great prices that won't break the bank and great customer service. I love mine :)

Reef Radiance is one the better budget brands but they still only have 2 dimmable channels. Not knocking them for budget units because they come with a decent warranty backed in the U.S. but I wouldn't say they have awesome controllability.

sirrealism

Though I agree with Reefer gladness on the fact that they only have 2 channels, The one beni they have over some of the other budget units is the UV is on the blue channel. This is the most important color IMO that is left out of most budget LEDs. Most if they have any UV/Violet 400nm-420nm at all will put them on the white/color channel which will always be run at a lower % then the blues and for a shorter time. To fix this I have bought UV LEDs and soldered them into some cheap SYStems and had great growth and color. I have a couple old school d120s that were just blue and white non dimming and removed 6 white and added 6 bridglux UV 410NM on each light and have had really good growth and color even with SPS. These old D120s are on my 90g and have been for years. These are so old they dont have any optics on them. Also never had any LEDs burn out on these. Not sure why but hey it works so leave it alone.