Help with hair algae

Bathtub

Glenn - excellent link to article, my take away was different though- you can't run too much gfo unless it is proving limiting to corals is how I read it.
I would say in this circumstance that's not the case ( and is the worry), would you agree?
The issue ( in the article) seemed to be drastically changing phosphate levels, with the media being run that is unlikely to be a problem, what do you think?
Best
Roy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Glenn - excellent link to article, my take away was different though- you can't run too much gfo unless it is proving limiting to corals is how I read it.
I would say in this circumstance that's not the case ( and is the worry), would you agree?

Roy I would agree... I think you would have to buy gfo in bulk & many even tumble it in a reactor to be running to much here... don't see exactly what & how much zebbyd was running... but I would not think it was to to much as you stated so as to hurt any sensitive corals.

I would think I could change my CPE every other week & be fine, if I wanted to...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think he explained the problems with using too much GFO pretty well in his 7 points. Most of it is related to stress on corals of a sudden drop in phosphates, organics, and trace metals, etc. It sounded like at least some corals even need a bit of phosphates (at very low sea water levels). I run a reactor but only add the recommended amount to avoid problems. Since the amount recommended is less than what's recommended to run the reactor properly I add carbon too (per the reactor instructions). Since I already fight low pH, GFO can also drop pH, and I don't need that.

ZebbyD

The reason I raised the point was mainly because a lot of things in reef world are an exact science. That as well as over doing anything in a reef tank can often lead to problems.

Good news on the battle front is that after three days of reduced lighting, I seem to the winning the battle. Going to keep my lights low for another two days and then do another water change whilst trying to take out any remaining bits of algae. Yesterday I replaced my carbon and phosphate remover and I will be restoring my purigen today.

Fishguy56

Folks,

I had the issue with hair algae and cyno within the first six months of setup. What I did to manage phosphate was to put a mini intank Eheim filter on the backwall of my RSM and ran Roa-Phos. But that did not solve the problem alone. A good cleanup crew, including Turbo snail, and several sandd sifting snails, along with a green emerald crab. But the biggest factor in my opinion controlling algae and cyno was the addition of two diamond sand sifting gobies. They constantly do a great job of sifting through the substrate and keeping it clean. Ever since I have not had a problem with cyno and hair algae. They can rearrange the substrate and I have to go in and level it off but the job they do in keeping the substrate clean is worth it.