Help Needed!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Brother make algae ur friend. Its the foundation of salt life. Congrats on ur find.

........call me frank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In your assumption is the problem across the board with most of your coral or somewhat sporadic.

What baffles me is coral growth at the current intensity levels then the problems. That's not typical photo-shock actions.

I'd get someone local to do a full set of water tests to be sure. Also when you run a LNS (more so with ULNS) smaller variations in other areas can have a drastic effect. The closer you are to the edge the more slippery the slope becomes.

sent from Outer Space via Droid Razr Maxx

DanSReef

So, I have not done an update in a month.... Hard to Believe!

Well the problems I was having must have been related to a super ultra low nutrient system. I did the par readings... and those did not really concern me. I shut down the carbon and GFO reactor and started dosing with Aquavitro Fuel at the suggestion of a reefing pal. I also upped the ammount I feed both the corals and the fish. The result.... the tissue recession has stopped on my various birds nest colonies. The recession of the various stags I have also stopped. Some pieces I thought were toast are now coloring up... though some I think are a total loss. My Montis are toast... fortunately I can get some new pieces. I have growth on some other corals...and zoas... and the coraline algae has begun to grow. I also ended up losing my pepermint shrimp and a couple of the chromis.... not sure the reason there.

I have the LEDs up to near full intensity....I think 85% on whites and 100%on blues. I am once again seeing growth on some like the green slimmer and the forest fire digi....which I thought was a goner. it is back big time....lots of poly extension and growth.

So... it looks like the bare bottom tank and all of the filtration I am doing just basically stripped the system clean....and in such a low nutrient environment...the corals failed... The LEDs had nothing to do with the problems... Though.... I have to admit... I wish there was a red LED or two in the light. I am seeing some amazing LED setups....and I am missing some of the color I see in those. I may need to contact Joe and see if something can be done.

I am getting ready to introduce a Mimic Tang and a Convict Tang to the system to add a little fish load. They have been in QT almost 3 weeks and have been eating like crazy. That should add nicely to the nutrient of the system. The skimmer is still drawing a huge amount of nasty skimmate...I am sure it will increase with the new tangs introduced. I am now looking forward to a trip to MCF to get some new corals to replace some that I lost.

More to come!

dmatt88

Now ur talkin. Since I fixed my water I may adjust my lighting up. I'm at 60%/50% Max still.

PS bout damn time ya stopped back by :D

Tell Mcf we say hi.

........Myreeftoyours is calling me. again.

DanSReef

Will Do Matt! One of these days I am going to need to make a trip down to see your aquarium and to check out the place you all go to.... 3-4 times the size of MCF!!!! That sounds like a worthwhile roadtrip!

catran

Until then, you can live vicariously through me. I'm going there tomorrow Dan, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Funlad3

Dan, I have a sunset monti that's yours if you want it. I'm sure I can also find some other pieces for you if you want them. PM me, it's fun to go LFS shopping with someone who doesn't ask questions about whether or not a coral will cause fish to die. :D