Help me identify this "anenome" and examine my gorilla crab trap please

RyPoYod

Hi all, two part question here if I may. Thanks in advance for spending time on reading this post.

1) Can you help me to identify this hitchhiker on my live rock? Also is the brown fuzzy guck on the live rock is algae? I was going to throw in a few scarlet crabs to just clean up but thought I better not until I catch the gorilla crab.

Right now the tank is a 20g and 3 days old with 22lbs of live rock and 40lbs of sand. No nitrite or ammonia but my nitrate levels are around 10-15ppm. I suppose things are dying off in my live rock/ live sand which is why I've registered so much nitrate the first three days.

liverock.jpg

2) How does my trap look? I'm planning on leaving this trap over night. It already has raw shrimp in it. Should I replace the raw shrimp before going to bed with a fresh piece?
trap.jpg

this is the little sucker I'm trying to catch :cursin: :

crab.jpg

Ssullivan

the first pic looks like a button polyp, the brown stuff looks like algae, i wouldnt add any animals till the cycle is finished. you may want to bait the trap wif skrimps or sumptin to get the bugger in there

cbrownfish

I agree with Ssullivan on all counts, though me wonders if the fuzzy spot at the bottom of the glass is shrimp or sumptin'. :) Is this glass leaning against the rock so the crab can climb in (hard to tell)? As long as the angle is somewhat steep, it shouldn't get out.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If I'm seeing the bottom and top of the glass correctly it looks to be at a pretty good angle for the crab to be able to slide in there but not climb out.

Ssullivan

if the cup doesn't work you could always spear it with a shish ka bob skewer a little barbaric but works

RyPoYod

Update: I haven't yet caught the guy. He's really shy and the shrimp just sits there. I've found that the cave actually has quiet a few openings. I'll try a small glass so I can maneuver it near his cave more with new shrimp.

I tried to stabbing method but he's just too shy to even want to come out for me to try to stab him.

I'll hold off on adding any critters until I have a consistent week of water tests and SG. Thanks for your help

Uslanja

Hi All! Just following the thread and couldn’t help but notice that we have a hitchhiker crab that looks just like the one in your photo. We kind of enjoy looking for him in and on the rock. He’s camouflaged quite well! Anyway, is that crab something that should be removed? Going to break the boss's heart if it is. Already named him "Dirty Harry".
Dave

RyPoYod

Uslanja, my crab resembles a gorilla crab but I wont know for sure until I catch it. It's definitely a rock crab though.

gorillacrab.jpg

Photo credit: Tampa Bay Saltwater

Most hobbyist insist on removing the crab because it's omnivorous, tending toward the carnivorous side. The crab generally doesn't care if it's a fish, coral, or snail when it eats. However, it doesn't like the fresh salmon or fresh shrimp that I've had in my trap. I'm on day 3 of trying to catch the bugger.

Here's what Tampa Bay Saltwater has to say about the crab (Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package Bad Critters)

You want to keep a lookout for Gorilla Crabs (xanthid species) and Stone Crabs. These pesky buggers are predators that can cause damage to your reef, eating anemones, clams, and anything else they can get their claws around. They might look cute when they're small, but it's just not worth putting them into the tank. If you really want to keep them, you could put them into your sump/fuge (if you have one).

The sure-fire way to spot one of these is to look for the black tips on their claws. As Gorilla crabs get larger, they become quite "hairy" all over. You can smash these guys pretty easily using a chopstick. Take a look at the catalog of organisms for pictures of other "good crabs" that may hitchhike on your rock.

FYI, it scurries when I get close to it with a chopstick so I can't crush it. It wont even come out if I hang a piece of fresh shrimp in front of the hole. It has been avoiding my trap with fresh salmon and fresh shrimp. I'll try a small glass that's closer to hole this time.

Here's another article from wetwebmedia: • View topic - Critter of the Week! Gorilla Crab (standing in for Lynn)

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A "General" rule of thumb on crabs is . .. "If they have sharp pointed pinchers they are considered gotta GO type of crabs!" This is even MORE the case if they are BLACK claws. Then they REALLY gotta go bye bye.

RyPoYod

I'm on day three of trying to catch this little bugger. He keeps moving so I don't know exactly where to place the trap. I try to place it where the glass is angled at a steep angle and where it can lean against a rock so he can climb in.

As soon as I place fresh shrimp in the tank I can see he gets excited because he comes out of his cave but then when I set the trap he seems disinterested. I can't stab him because he's really shy.

I'll try shrimp again tonight...*sigh* any suggestions?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Remove the rock he is in, pour seltzer water through the holes and he should come running out.

RyPoYod

Ok, good idea. I'll bait him with food so I know what rock he's in then do the seltzer water trick.

Question regarding the seltzer water, will it harm my polyp or clam? I have a couple on my live rock that I'd like not to die. Especially the hitchhiking clam, it's cool.

Tru2nr

i would try putting like brine shrimp or cyclopeeze into the dave and busters glass as that might help get him into the glass a little faster if you don't want to remove your rock and fyi...the little bugger might hop from one rock to the other the minute you start moving his home

RyPoYod

Tru2nr, thanks for the advice. That's funny how you knew it was a D&B glass. It probably cost me $30 in tickets before I was able to win it.

Update on the crab. He comes out at night,obviously, but as soon as I put the glass back in with raw shrimp he doesn't come out for the rest of the night.

I'm going to try to locate the rock he lives in with fresh shrimp again then use seltzer water. Per Woodstock he says using seltzer should be harmless as long as I rinse with salt water afterwards ref: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-hitchhiker-id/43230-eunicid-worm-removal.html

I'll report back once I go home to do this tonight.

Tufftey

Reading this thread with interest since I also have a crab I want rid of. Luckily I knew which rock he was in and have managed to put it in the qt. I've been trying to entice him out with shrimp in the glass and putting it in a net close by with no joy so far. I'm going to try the seltzer water since I have no coral on this LR, but can someone confirm what seltzer water is? I think we may have a different name for it here in the UK? I'm thinking tonic water (as in gin and tonic)? or alkaseltzer ( as in the powder you mix with water when you have an upset tum)? Rypoyod good luck with your mission
this evening

Tufftey

Thanks Terry
I'll see if we have any soda water in the cupboard, if not I'll buy some tomorrow. At least I know its in the qt so he isn't a problem