HELP Corals dying

magnum

Have you ever measured your magnesium?

I have not. I bought a test kit but can't figure out how to use it. What test kit do you use? I even took a sample to the LFS and that is the one test that they don't do. Do you think that could be the problem?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Mg is pretty important, but I can't say for sure that it's related to your problems. It's worth checking though. I use a Salifert test.

magnum

I am at wits end. Nothing in the tank looks happy, except the fish. The zoanthinds are all closed or died. My acan does not look like it is coming back my duncan has been closed for three days. I had some red slim algae that was getting out of hand so I added some treatment to clear it up. I thought maybe that was contributing to the problem. I had the skimmer off during the treatment. My skimmer had not been producing very much skim mate. I notice that there was a kink in the air line when I took it off. Could a poorly producing skimmer cause the problems I am having? All my tests were coming back good. Somebody said that I might have picked up a parasite. The problems did start shortly after adding two new corals, could that be the problem? How do you know if you have a parasite and how do you treat for one if you do? I am sorry for rambling but I don’t know what to do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I wonder if the flame angle is the problem?

just brain-storming... The flame could be nipping at the corals...

Tell us again... what chemical filtration you are running & how old it is (how often are you changing it out)? I think this could be key...

I do 5 gal (15%) water changes weekly, but my coral quickly tell me when I have gone a bit long on changing out my chemical filtration.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I wouldn't think one parasite would affect all of the corals, but just guessing. Are you sure your temperature and salinity readings are correct? By any chance did you not rinse out your media on the last switch? Good questions by Glenn too.

magnum

(The flame could be nipping at the corals... )

I have a 15 gal FOWLR tank, do you think I should quarantine the flame in there to see if things get better?

(Tell us again... what chemical filtration you are running & how old it is (how often are you changing it out)? I think this could be key...)

I am running CPE and Purigen. The CPE was only about 1 month old but I changed it last night, I am currently regenerating the purigen. The purigen had been in for about 3 months.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the more I read... the more I suspect the flame...

everything else you are doing sounds very right...

have read this about the flames...

Reef Tank Suitability: Although touted by aquarists to be a fairly good reef safe fish, it may nip at large polyped stony corals, zoanthids, tridacnid clam mantles, and even some soft coral polyps. Therefore, this fish cannot be completely trusted if these invertebrates are present.

Diet & Feeding: An omnivore that eats both plant and animal fares, it should be provided with ample live rock and algae growth to constantly graze on, and is particularly a good diatom algae eater. Will accept most any type of fares suitable for omnivores.

might could increase feeding & see if that helps... maybe some nori seaweed to graze on all day... just brain storming... if you didn't want to take him out...

magnum

the more I read... the more I suspect the flame...

everything else you are doing sounds very right...

have read this about the flames...

Reef Tank Suitability: Although touted by aquarists to be a fairly good reef safe fish, it may nip at large polyped stony corals, zoanthids, tridacnid clam mantles, and even some soft coral polyps. Therefore, this fish cannot be completely trusted if these invertebrates are present.

Diet & Feeding: An omnivore that eats both plant and animal fares, it should be provided with ample live rock and algae growth to constantly graze on, and is particularly a good diatom algae eater. Will accept most any type of fares suitable for omnivores.

might could increase feeding & see if that helps... maybe some nori seaweed to graze on all day... just brain storming... if you didn't want to take him out...

I did increase feeding for this reason, that probably caused my algae outbreak. I will pick up some seaweed on my way home tonight and give that a try. I hate to take him out, it is the one fish I always wanted to keep.

magnum

Thanks for the links. I was hoping that I could clip a piece of seaweed in the tank and that would keep him happy between feedings. I need to do a little more homework on this.

imaccat

Magnum,

Did you check your magnesium reading as suggested by (nanoreefing4fun)? I think it would be worth testing.

Cheers

magnum

I tried to test it again. I used the red sea test kit and could not get a good reading. I went to 4 LFS's no body has one other then the RS kit. I did find a Seechem kit that was $55.00 and looked like it has been on the shelf for a long time. I will order a Salifert and have it tested.

fiveldsp

I just now came across this thread and was curious how the situation played out. I have a reef tank that's been set up for 7 years and have a flame angel in there that is about 18 months old. I have personally seen him nip at my hawaiian featherdusters, frogspawn and zoas.

No matter what I do, he always nips a little, but feeding him smaller amounts of food more frequently as well as having seaweed clipped in the tank has drastically helped. So instead of feeding all of the fish once a day with 1 cube of frozen food... i use a cube and a half each day and spread it out between 3-4 different times.

If you can keep him distracted enough, he won't nip as much and it will give your corals a chance to get ahead. Once you have colonies of corals everywhere, the occasional nip will barely be noticeable. I hope your corals bounced back and worked out for you... I certainly wish you the best!

Rich

magnum

Sorry I have not been around to update. I was so frustrated that I kind of let the tank alone for a long time to see what happens. I started to do less water changes 5 gals every 2 weeks instead of twice a week and just kept toping off the tank. I think I am finally starting to bounce back. But I lost a lot of stuff, most of my mushrooms, trumpet, zoanthids, coco worm, acan and a few others not to mention all but two fish died, my flame and yellow goby are left. my torch, duncan and kenya tree are doing well and my hammer coral had gotten to a point I could see its skeleton but appears to be bouncing back. I had been getting a lot of brown slim algae all over but this week it has started to get better. If things continue to progress I may add a new fish or coral soon.............
Someone told me that by sand bed could be the problem and suggested I remove or replace it, or go with a deep sand bed. He said that after about a year it can start to put bad stuff into the water that will not show up on the tests. I don't like the idea of a deep sand bed on a 34 gal tank.........
Does anybody have any thoughts about that?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
My sand is over 3 years old, and only about 2" deep. I haven't seen any problems so far. I'm not sure what happened but good news that things may be turning for the better now.

magnum

I had left the sand alone I added a new gobie that has cleaned it up quite a bit. I have a coulpe questions. First I have been having an outbreak of these little white star fish looking things. I have seen some from time to time. Today I found 87 of them on the glass. Does this mean anything? Second my torch coral is going through a growth spurt. Can I trim the tenticals or do I need to frag it at the base?