Hello All...

Rep. Day

OK....the cycling has begin. Now a question for down the road about getting clean up crew. I found a very good supplier and they have various packages for CUCs, but I have a question, what is the difference in an "Algie Attack Pack" and an "Detritus Attack Pack"? What is Detritus?

What I am going for is a FO community tank, which one would you recommend when I am ready for them?

Thanks,
Dave

Craig Manoukian

Detritus is matter from left over food that accumulates in your tank and as it rots can eventually fowl your sand bed or DSB. Nassaurius snails, Scarlet Hermit Crabs, polycheates (worms), sea cucumbers, and conches all all very good detrivores. Scarlet Hermits double as algeavores and are the only hermits I would allow in my reef as they stay algeavores and are non carniverous.

lcstorc

The one thing I am wary of is that most of the packaged CUC are too large IMO. I prefer to add my CUC slowly and add specific animals to meet specific needs. JMO but if you get some of the large crews I have seen some are bound to not have enough food particularly in a new tank,

Rep. Day

I had read that somewhere else on this site, I am going to start with a minimum and then add as needed.

Another question, now my tank is starting to cycle, ammonia is starting to go up some. Do I need to be doing anything, water changes, etc? Or, wait until the levels go back down and then do changes or something else?

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Dave

lcstorc

Just sit back and wait for now. Doing water changes at this point will actually prolong the cycle.
Amonia will rise then the nitrite will rise as the amonia falls then the nitrate will rise as the nitrite falls. Once you are down to 0 amonia and 0 nitrite with the nitrates starting to go down then you can start doing water changes. It usually takes a couple of weeks but each tank and situation is different. Let the testing be your guide instead of the calendar.

Rep. Day

When doing testing during the cycle, is it necessary to test everything? I am testing the ammonia level, can I assume that the nitrite levels will rise shortly after or do I need to be testing that also. I was figuring I would test ammonia levels until they start to drop, then start testing the nitrite levels until they get back down, then test everything.

Not a big deal, just wonding if it is necessary to be testing everything at this point.

Dave

DrHank

I'd check it once or twice a week. As Lynn said, hold off on water changes until both Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. Then do your water change. I would change up to about 33% initially and see how low it draws the Nitrate down.

Nitrates may or may not drop off after Ammonia and Nitrite reach 0 (they are a product of conversion of Nitrite). It will depend on how much anaerobic bacteria is present in the live rock (which converts nitrate to nitrogen gas).

Craig Manoukian

Make sure you hget Scarlet Hermits, all red with yellow eye stalks. Other hermits become carniverous ans will eat you snails as they mature, avoid blue leg and red leg hermits as they are the ones most often found in package crews.

Heed Lynn's caveat on the Sea Cucumber. They are very toxic to your tank if they perish, something else to consider. Dead anemones can really foul a tank as well.

Rep. Day

I know, my questions never quit....sorry folks.

When doing the water change, should I use a gravel cleaner and stir up the sand some or is that better left alone?

As always, thanks for all of your guidance!

Dave

Rep. Day

For a 55gal FO tank, what would be your recommendation for a CUC. I know some have said many of the packages are too large, what do I need at least for starters in there. Sounds like I want a Scarlet Hermit or two, any suggestions?

Dave