Heater blew up

Robzilla

So the heater in my SW change bucket blew up and I had a cloudy mix sitting in my bucket all day while I was at work. I rinsed it out in the bath tub with tap water. Can I still use this bucket? Or do I need to get a new one? I need to make water asap.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear... what brand was it?

Not sure on re-using the bucket, seem like you could, after rinsing out real well, but that's just my guess. Let's see what others say...

Robzilla

Penn-Plax 50W.

Assuming worst case scenario that I can't use it, would it be ok to use one of my ro/di waste water buckets?

jpsika08

If you mean the bucket you use for delivering the "waste" RO/DI's produce, I would say it's fine, this waste at the end is even drinkable water for humans, just something that ain't going to be used by your tank.

Also, the bucket in which the heater exploded, maybe you can really clean it out and rinse it well, modern heaters do not bring mercury which I would think it could be the major problem.

Hope to see what others have to say.

DaveK

If the bucket was not physically damaged, clean it well and you'll be all set. If the bucket was melted or burnt, replace it.

Robzilla

Thanks you guys. Just trying to figure out if one of these buckets will leach anything into my new ro/di water.

Robzilla

I did buy a new one. The only reason I was asking is because I'm down a skimmer and I needed to do a water change asap. Ended up tossing the bucket in question because I didn't want to risk it.