Have the feathered, furred, and soon the fish...Christine's New RSM 250

rgslady

Sorry for my long absence...and now here at work so right now I can't post any new pics. For the most part, things are going well. My RS 250 still my pride and joy. The 14 g biocube also doing great.

Then there's the 29g pony tank. Ponies and pipefish are doing awesome. I also have three small cardinals and a helfrich's firefish in there. The all get along nicely. My biggest problem with the pony tank is the algae. It has been a problem literally since the onset. Initially, I thought it might be the live rock I purchased...totoka. Very bumpy, porous rock...tough to keep clean. I would not buy it again. So I have no doubt that is part of the problem. Second, you gotta feed those ponies twice a day, frozen mysis. I got them, and the pipefish trained to feed from a feeding dish, which is literally an upturned clamshell. And feeding frozen twice a day poses it's own issues. I try to take out all uneaten food after a half hour of feeding time. The green algae on the glass is relentlous. That tank looks it's best first thing in the morning..then with the lights on all day, the algae just takes over. I clean it twice a day, but never seem to make any headway. Tank params are good. Stevie T rack with seagel and purigen. And Aquamaxx HOB skimmer (rated for 75g). Also have Vortech 10 in there, a recent addition I thought would help, but doesn't seem to. Then again, I can only keep the flow rate limited because of the ponies. Tank temp is 74.

Just did practically a major overhaul on that tank, cleaning everything I possibly could. Have been trying API marine algae fix, to no avail. I know what the algae requires, nutrients and light. The tank is 4 months old. I limit the lighting from 8 am to 6 pm. And do my best to remove uneaten food. Just don't know what else I can do at this point...

Do you think it would do any harm to turn the lights off for a few hours midday? Don't wanna mess with those little pony heads! And a last resort, which I dread, would be to change out the live rock completely...expensive and time consuming.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to hear from you Christine! Best wishes on the algae battle in the 29 - it sounds like you've tried a lot of things. Are the nitrates high in the 29?

reeferman

that was the reason we took down our pony tank.too much food and too much algae.you can try Microbe Lift Special Blend,it works very well in my 250.im considering getting a pair of dragonface pipefish for my new tank.do you have any experience with these?

rgslady

Tanks updated pics...

The 14 biocube

2011-07-09190406.jpg

The 28 g pony tank

2011-07-09190529.jpg

And the RSM 250

2011-07-09190959.jpg

Had a big disaster and horrible heartbreak on the original pony tank where I lost everything. Started over and things couldn't be better. I really believe my algae problem originated in the kind of live rock I used...Totoka...too creviced to possibly keep clean. So I switched to my faithful Fiji and did a complete rebuild. Tank parameters couldn't be better and everything in there doing very well. I also learned to rinse my food very well before putting it in the tank which I believe was part of the problem before.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Terrific looking tanks, and nice to hear from you! Sorry about the pony tank problems, but it looks like you solved them. :thumbup: