Have I been "had" by the LFS?

Raf

yeah, now time to change the thread title considering you were not 'had' by anyone, rather not educated in this species... ;)

JT101

yeah, now time to change the thread title considering you were not 'had' by anyone, rather not educated in this species... ;)

Sorry, but the reason I thought I was "had" was because the LFS guy made it sound like it would open up the minute it went in the shade.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry, but the reason I thought I was "had" was because the LFS guy made it sound like it would open up the minute it went in the shade.

that's part of the problem with some LFS's. Sometimes they don't know as much as they want you to THINK they know. He probably thought that because this species lives in darkened areas it avoids light all together. That's not the case. It just merely thrives where other corals can't. Adaption baby :)

Allen

JT101

that's part of the problem with some LFS's. Sometimes they don't know as much as they want you to THINK they know. He probably thought that because this species lives in darkened areas it avoids light all together. That's not the case. It just merely thrives where other corals can't. Adaption baby :)

Allen

I hear ya! Either way, I'm just really glad that it finally opened up and seems healthy.

caitrina

Now, look at that, isn't that a pretty sun coral? Very nice, am happy that the sun came about for you.....now to train it to open when lights are on.

prow

for now i would just feed it when the polyps are open. after a month or so, when its settled start to tease it with cyclopeeze or something. only tease/feed it when you see the polyps out with lights on. it will learn that feeding time is during the day.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sweet sun man! Glad it opened up for you. I wish you would sell it. I am looking for more to complete my corner. :)

GeeWizzItsMe

Still give it time....each day it will open more and more...I just passed on my chance at a small head of sun polyps(bout 5 polyps, its only going for $15) so maybe it will be there at the end of the week.

Ship that baby to me lol! Good luck, and I hope you get it!

JT101

Thanks again to all for the good cheer :snshne: !

My sunny is doing fine. So far it stays closed most of the day but opens up when the daylights go out and the actinics remain on. At this point it is only about halfway open. Last couple of nights I have been feeding it with a little invention I put together. It consists of a clear plastic cup that I drilled-out the bottom of and glued in a 1/2" clear plastic tube sticking out of the bottom and long enough to reach up beyond the surface of the water. What I do is place the open end of the cup over the sunny which essentially traps it. Then I drip in some defrosted Cyclop-Eez into the open end of the tube sticking out. The Cyclop-Eez, being heavier than water, rapidly drift downwards to the "trapped" sunny. In this fashion I can feed it without my other fish stealing all its food (which has happened a few times). When the sunny closes on food and it looks like it's done eating I just lift up the contraption.

However, I notice that the coral doesn't really open way up until about 20 minutes AFTER I feed it. It's almost like it's saying, "Hey, I really liked that, can I have some more please?" I have not fed it afterwards being concerned about overfeeding it. What should I do? Feed it again anyway?

Thanks
John

JT101

Sweet sun man! Glad it opened up for you. I wish you would sell it. I am looking for more to complete my corner. :)

:lol: :lol: !

Sorry bud, this sunny is MINE :snshne: !

In fact, the same LFS guy just got in several more - guess where I'm going after work today :smirk: ?

forestal

the coral will eat til its full, so feed every couple minutes a squirt or 2 over 20 -30 minutes that way they all get some , don't worry about overfeeding it :)

lcstorc

If it is opening better after feeding, I would go for seconds. You may get some polyps that missed round 1 as well.

JT101

Thanks, I'll give it "seconds" from now on.

As far as a schedule, is one feeding session per day too much? Should I skip a day?

JT101

Haven't been able to post for several days (a bad bout of bronchitis :bouncebox ) but all my corals are doing great! I hope to have more pics up tonight.

framerguy

Thanks, I'll give it "seconds" from now on.

As far as a schedule, is one feeding session per day too much? Should I skip a day?
They love seconds! I feed mine everyday, if he's not hungry he wouldn't eat. They don't photosynthesise and rely on you for their food. Try using DT also, mine loves it. I mix DT, a small chunk of oyster egg and either cyclopeeze or mysis and make a banquet smorgasboard mush. My GSP and Goniopora goes crazy for it too.