Has this ever happened to you?

ChitownRomeo

So I have been fragging and reefing for about 8 years now. I ALWAYS use the super glue gel from the dollar Store. So I used a little bit to keep 2 small rocks together from shifting and falling. After a month or so the rocks move cause of me adding a frag to the tank and I notice the spots where the glue was has turned a bright orange. Like the super glue has turned orange. No where else in the tank has this glue done this. Any thoughts?

Oxylebius

Not sure what is going on there.

I've used the super glue gel you get at the big home repair stores (loctite and gorilla glue), the off brand that BRS sells and the name brand coral gel. All make my skimmer bubbles disappear for a while but nothing has changed colors during the many years I have these gels.

Maybe it has to do with the manufacturer of the stuff you buy? Is it 100% cyanoacrylate?

StirCrayzy

Likely inferior chemicals, probably not a concern. I've only used BRS cheap stuff, and Bob Smith extra thick, never had any discoloration

Oxylebius

Yeah, any time I place a BRS order I always pick up several bottles of the BRS cheap stuff. Works great and cheap.

rostervandross

Might be some algae or something that it hosts? I've put baffles in my sump that are turning yellow and orange along the silicon lines

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've seen what you're talking about. I use reef glues and it still happens but I've never had any issues so I'm sure you'll be ok