Guwahati's first RSM 250 Reef Setup

orieng

Hi Everybody,
I have finally received my Live rock. I got 50 kilos of the uncured Live rock on the 22nd Deember (wednesday ) after waiting for it for more than a month and have put in my curing tank. I have put my curing tank in the balcony of my house and put in a 200 Watt Eheim heate, One cheap Weipro Skimmer with a Eheim 2000 compact pump and another 2500 l/hr power head for circulation. Meanwhile my RSM 250 is patiently waiting for its inhabitants in my living room( Please check my earlier thread " max chiller Size"). My skimmer started producing skim mate one hour after I put my Live Rock in. I will try to upload a few pics of the setup I have and look forward to your suggestion in curing my LR. My pH is 8.1 now, and ammonia 6 mg/l and nitrites 0 when I tested this morning. Thanks and Have Nice Christmas Everybody.
IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg
IMG]
IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Guwahati - thanks for starting a tank thread for us! Nice to see the rock finally arrived and is curing now. Good thing that you can cure it outside in case it starts to smell during curing. I've never had to cure live rock so I can't offer any advice based on experience.

orieng

Hi, questio for members. My ammonia is 6 mg/l ( seachem test kit) and my skimme is putting our a lot of gunk.Today is the 5th day of cycling. When should I go for a water change in my curing tank? Please advise guys.

orieng

Reefmack ... Thanks. After reading the thread you recommended I did a 100% water change of the curing tank. In addition I shook and lightly scrubbed the rocks too. After the water change the water is now looking clear and the skimmer appears to have stopped producing the gunk. Maybe will pick up after some hours. Will test the water tomorrow and see what I have acheived. will keep you all posted. thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds good on the rock curing. Cleaning it up will indeed cut back on the skimming for a while.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Congrats on your LR & getting going !

For what it's worth... I choose to start with uncured LR when I started my RSM 130D, another way to start up a tank - Cheers !

Thanks for sharing the pics & good luck on getting going !

tnwillia

When you set up, if you have the room, give yourself at least 7 or 8 inches between the 250 and the wall. You'll need this space for a lot of reasons over time. Have fun!

orieng

@ Twinlla and Reefmack. Point noted and will ensure 8 inches between the RSM and the wall. Skimer is still not prucing skimmate as on this morning. The horrible smell is also gone. But a closer inspection of the rocks revealed that it still contains the detritus. Will keep you posted.

orieng

Hi everyone, just checked the basic parameters. Ph is 8.0 and ammonia is again showing again. The skimmeris also skimming. When I had got my Live Rock ( Which had travelled for 4 days) the coral appeared white and dead. but this morning I was surprised to see it turn light green in some areas. I want you members to look at the picture and tell me what coral is this and will it survive. thanks everyone and waiting for your comments

IMG00065-20101228-0904.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to hear the ammonia is back up and the skimmer skimming again. I have no idea on what kind of coral that is, or if it's alive or just getting a green algae growth on it. Let us know if it changes and any polyps appear on the skeleton.

orieng

Checked my water parameters and ph 8.0, ammonia 6 ppm but still no nitrite. I wonder when the nitrite will show up. The skimmer is producing skimmate but too little. The coral I had on my LR is identified as " Favites abdita" . Will do another masive waer change next sunday. Will the change of water slow down my cycle?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Based on the link in post #5 ^ a water change is OK. Nitrite can take a while to show up - difficult to predict when that will happen - a day or a few days I'm guessing.

orieng

Hi everybody, wish you all a " Fantastic New Year". My tank is still cycling and I want your suggestions for a " CUC". Can you please let me know what I should plan for my CUC? As I live in a very landlocked part of India sourcing livestock is a big issuefor me. I need to order weeks in advance to source my stuff . Thanks in advance. bye

orieng

hello everyone, my live rock curing tank is still cycling. Ammonia has come down considerably but Nitrites is peaking and Nitartes pretty high too. I am having a lot of green and red algae on my live rock and dont know what to do. Will this algae go away by itself? please advise guys.. I am first time reefer.
Secondly, I was away at the national capital during the first week. picked up some frags and corals from a guy who deals with them. The guy has shipped the same and it will be with me next wednesday. For these corals I have prepared my RSM 250 with the Red Sea reef Base, and salt water made with coral Pro. I have started the skimmer and the pumps since yesterday and plan to keep the corals here till my Live rock is cured. Please let me know how to take care of the corals till I can put in the live rock?
thanks in advance ..

IMG_0978-1.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0969-1.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg