Growth.

Oakhouse

I'm having one of those feelings at the moment..

I keep seeing all these beautiful tanks on here... and thinking, why do I have an issue to get anything to grow!

With the exception of GSP and hammerhead (both of which are growing very slowly)....What am I doing wrong?

:columbo:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good question from Glenn. If it's corals with a bony skeleton (SPS especially, but also LPS) be sure your Ca, Mg and Alk are all at proper levels.

Oakhouse

Just a realisation that of all the corals I've had in the tank over the last year, only 2 have survived..

The hammerhead, and a gorgonia.

Acros, Birdsnest, Torch, Plating Monti, Duncans, Elegance, all of them didnt make it.. Makes me feel a bit sick to think that I couldn't give them what they needed..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Don't know why you have lost some corals...

but I do nothing special at all & have had good sucess, if I had to identify any keys - I guess I would say 10% weekly water changes - every week, cpe & purigen - changed every 3 months & esv 2-part solution - lots snails in cuc & feed every other day frozen to whole tank.

Don't know if anything above helps any... but I wanted to reply with some encouragement - there are lots of corals you should be able to have great sucess with and again I think you have a pretty tank !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've lost some too Richard. Try adding one at a time & keep an eye on their progess. Some of those you listed, like the Elegance, can be tough ones. Now that your tank is more mature you may have more success.

tnwillia

Het Richard, I never had any luck with SPS and have stuck to LPS, Zoas & Mushrooms which I like better anyway. I thought my Duncan died and a year later it came back and is growing better than ever. I'm with Terry & Glenn the older my tank gets the better luck I've had. If you've kept a gorgonia alive for a year your doing something right. You can do it, give it another chance!

Oakhouse

Thanks for the encouragement guys...

Tank params are stable, and do about 15% weekly water change... Was just going through all the photos I have of the tank and looking at the losses got to me a little..

tnwillia

Hey Richard it happens, I've got a long list of things that are no longer in my tank, I take it as a learning challenge and keep pushing forward. How long ago did you change your bulbs, could your lighting be dropping off, it will go way down before you see the difference? Good luck!

Oakhouse

Thanks tom... onto the third set (change them every 6 months)... Things are looking a little better in the tank today...

Will post some more pics on my tank thread soon.