Grouper eating a lionfish

sirrealism

Most of us know that Lionfish have gotten way out of hand in the caribbean. This is the first time anyone has seen any fish eat a lionfish. No one knows if there were any ill effects to the grouper but we can hope that maybe they have found a way to eat them. Take a look

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-27_17-9-38.png
    upload_2015-2-27_17-9-38.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 4

Oxylebius

Curious. The base of the spins have a pouch where the venom is located, if the spins didn't stick the fish while being swallowed or in the stomach, I wonder if digesting all that venom in the pouches would do anything to the fish (right away or over time).

sirrealism

Thats the million dollar question. The big question I have is they are from the indo pacific so why have they not had an explosion in there numbers in there home waters. I just did a search that said they dont have any natural predators accept for larger lionfish and maybe groupers? There numbers are in check in there home waters. Maybe its lack of food? My reefclubs next meeting is having a guest speaker Dr. Stallings from the USF College of Marine Science. He is going to be talking about the lionfish invasion so I will get all the info I can and post about it here.

Oxylebius

Lionfish in their native waters are considered top predators. Very few other fish prey on them. I've read that the niger triggers have been seen clipping the spins off juveniles before eatting them and sharks and eels have been seen preying upon them also.

Predators of larvae and juvenile lionfish remain unknown, but may prove to be the primary limiting factor of lionfish populations in their native range.
(Terry J. Donaldson, David Benavente, & Roxie Diaz (2010). "Why are lionfishes (Pterois, Scorpaenidae) so rare in their native ranges?". Proceedings of the 63rd Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute (November 1–5, 2010 San Juan, Puerto Rico) (Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute) (1–5 November): 352–359)

I'd be interested in hearing what Dr. Stallings has to say. Would that be Chris Stallings? If so, what a small world, he is a friend of mine. Follow back up with us with any insights you gain.