Greeting suggestions :)

lbiminiblue

Hey guys, I've noticed some things around here on the main page that I think should be addressed. Not that bad things are going on, just that some improvements need to be made.
On some threads where new users (maybe just looking for a quick answer/ advice) make a simple question, a few users reply. Thing is, those users only post a "Welcome to RS, start a tank thread!" post. This isn't bad, and I'm not pointing fingers, but I think that the advice is the important part. Not necessarily the welcome. I think if you really want the "welcome!" to be really effective, it should come after some critical advice or a "sorry, don't know much. Others will chime in." I've been guilty of dropping a "welcome" every now and then, but I strongly think we should avoid welcome-only posts, unless the thread is an introductory one.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Re: Welcoming on Inquiry Threads

I think the question is a good one but there are two sides to every coin. Greeting new RS members allows the member to see that they are welcomed to the community which is the case for every person (experienced or not). The other side is to answer their question if they are posting one. For the most part, the "welcomes" float the thread to the top and allow members to assist but it also sends the warm welcome we are known for here at Reef Sanctuary! Personally, I think it works quite well but your point is well taken, we are here to help and should strive to do that every chance we get. That's what makes RS special .)

Thanks for posting this, great question :)

saltfan

Some people may not know the answer so they just welcome the new member... Myself included

Mike Johnson

I think "friendly" is the key word here. Maybe even try a complement once in awhile.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I try to greet every new member. If I know the answer to one of their questions I'll answer it. I will say that I've heard from more than one new member how great those welcomes make them feel. :)

lbiminiblue

Alright. I figured that was the purpose, but after being here for about 2 years I get used to these things and forget how it felt. Carry on ;)

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Very good idea, Ibimini. Please feel free to pm me if I tend to be more welcoming and less helpful. I try to answer questions that I can but also try to welcome and let the person know that I'm not the one to answer it, too. I wish we'd quit using the cut and paste welcomes, too. It seems to depersonalize the welcome/greeting imo.

Keep the suggestions coming.

lbiminiblue

Very good idea, Ibimini. Please feel free to pm me if I tend to be more welcoming and less helpful. I try to answer questions that I can but also try to welcome and let the person know that I'm not the one to answer it, too. I wish we'd quit using the cut and paste welcomes, too. It seems to depersonalize the welcome/greeting imo.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Yeah i think the cut and past welcomes are a little over the top. Some people just come for a quick answer and have no intention of starting a tank thread.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well I didn't do it!!! :nono: I don't know how to cut & paste a welcome :LOL:
I think we all should WELCOME NEW MEMBERS however we feel comfortable doing.
The more "Welcome" post they get the better.
I felt very Welcomed from my 1st post and it was probably a cut & paste, don't remember for sure tho.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I would think that a newbie posting to the meet and greet would have no idea that it was a cut and paste.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I guess being new, they wouldn't. I didn't mean any offense. The welcome is the most important point of the post in the meet and greet.

gbose

I think we should explain to new members our custom that the newbie buys a keg of beer for all of us....

Fishdad1

Sorry, no money for beer. Spent it all on the fish tank. My kids college fund too.

BTW from a 'newbie' perspective this is a very welcoming forum. Especially when contrasted against some of the other ones out there. I think this hobby tends to attract people that are predisposed to smugness and online forums just exacerbate that quality in them. So glad I found you guys. You do a nice job around here.

lbiminiblue

I guess being new, they wouldn't. I didn't mean any offense. The welcome is the most important point of the post in the meet and greet.

Point taken.
But if the thread is obviously a question, I think the introduction should come AFTER or ALONG with an in-depth answer, or a simple "I don't know"

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Point taken.
But if the thread is obviously a question, I think the introduction should come AFTER or ALONG with an in-depth answer, or a simple "I don't know"
I agree with that....their request for information should not be ignored, even if the responder who welcomes them doesn't know the answer to their question.

Edit: But, if someone else has already answered the question, just "Welcome" would be good. :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My take is Meet & Greet ... is to welcome new members who join RS & make their 1st post

If they ask a question, it is nice to try & help - one example would be if someone ask about cycling a tank... any number of RS members could offer good advise, I have posted thousand & thousand of replies to even the most basic question - helping members have success is a huge part of RS & we all started at square one at sometime.

IMO - one of the very best things we can do,is get new members to start tank threads... it helps them become part of the RS family when they share their tank with us & there is no better place to ask questions - imo - than in a tank thread or one of RS sub forums that the most members frequent (this would not be Meet & Greet) thus giving the new members post the most opportunity to get a varied & quality answer.

I know welcoming members when they make their 1st post is one things that makes RS very special - I try my best to welcome every new member to RS - with a cut & paste, yes, but with a very sincere message from me & what I consider great advise - start a tank thread, share your tank with us :dance: and join in being part of our great community !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)