Green Star Polyp growing too much

Hello!
Recently I've been having a problem with my gsp (green star polyp) growing too much. It has grown over some of my zoas and has started growing on my montipora capricornis. how do I kill it?

frisbee

Manual removal is really your only option. A small flathead screwdriver, a razor blade, or even some tweezers will help you with this. If your lucky, you can pry up an edge and then slowly peel the mat from the rocks/coral. It's a little tedious, but it can work. GL.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You just buy kalkwasser from your LFS or online and then mix it with water into a paste consistency.

frisbee

This is the first time I've ever heard of using kalk paste to kill GSP. I've always thought that mat of theirs was almost indestructible. I understand it doesn't take much to kill an aiptasia, but woudn't it take quite of bit of paste to kill a 5" x 5" colony of GSP? Wouldn't this much paste throw certain parameters out of wack in a relatively small tank? Got any pictures or references? TY.

Mike Johnson

I thought it was common knowledge. I'm at work so this is the first google I got. I didn't recommend trying to kill a whole area just pruning it back.

I agree with scopus, I have had excellent success using kalkwasser paste to control and groom my GSP, I just apply it over the polyps and mat on the areas I want to remove and it will die back and it has no effect on the rest of the coral.

frisbee

I thought it was common knowledge. I'm at work so this is the first google I got. I didn't recommend trying to kill a whole area just pruning it back.

I agree with scopus, I have had excellent success using kalkwasser paste to control and groom my GSP, I just apply it over the polyps and mat on the areas I want to remove and it will die back and it has no effect on the rest of the coral.

Apparently not. Like I said before, I don't think I've ever seen a thread here on Reef Sanctuary or other sites where this method was used. I'll do little research and keep my eyes peeled. TY.

ChitownRomeo

Hello!
Recently I've been having a problem with my gsp (green star polyp) growing too much. It has grown over some of my zoas and has started growing on my montipora capricornis. how do I kill it?

Easy just bag some of it up and ship it to me. Problem solved :) I would seriously take some off your hands.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I would take some too...Heck i'd even pay shipping for Priority mail, not Overnight. Another option which WONT disrupt your tank. If its attached to glass, a razor wrks well. If its attached to a rock, and its ALONE on that rock, Take the rock out of the tank and DIP(less than 1min) the rock and parts of GSP you dont want into BOILING RO/DI water. This will kill the parts exposed(dont dip the whole rock unless you want it all gone). After the 1 min dip, put the rock back into SW(not the DT). Within 48hrs, the boiled part will naturally start to seperate from the rock. cut around the live part with a sharp blade or razor and the dead part will fall off on its own in a day or 2.

FTW this also works on XENIA

Tokalosh

I had the same problem and did a little pruning as my green star polyp decided to take over my entire tank. This I knew was coming but not this quick.

A few pictures may tell the story of a thousand words and a lot of cursing.

My birds nest was under attack, and some drastic action had to be taken... The GSP starting to invade.

After some drastic pruning......

A better picture of how much I had to remove..... to add some space for my new Acro. This is a very resilient coral and it will take a lot to kill it. One thing it does not like and that is the shade. It grows very quickly in brightly lit areas.

I removed 200g of GSP......

I used a tweezers to remove the majority of the GSP, and the rest peels off like a skin. You just have to find a good stating point and take it slow. I'll be keeping my eye on the rest.

Tok

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I find it's an AWESOME coral to have if you can keep it ISOLATED on the sand bed.
I just broke mine in half & shared it with someone. I'm not into fragging but it was super simple to tear the GSP into pieces.
null_zpsf62833a2.jpg
[/IMG]
null_zps8a6acf70.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

UTCreefer

Isolation is definitly key with GSP.
Ive got a huge patch of it growing on a whole side of glass in my tank. If it gets out of control i just use a razor blade to cut it and peel it off the glass. Before that I kept it on a single rock on the sand bed so that it couldnt reach out and touch anything else. Once it gets going it spreads like mad.