Green mandarin - Synchiropus splendidus

jessemac

Great pair, absolutely beautiful! I love these fishes, I have one myself and have wanted to try and get a pair. Though I am hesitant to do so as I am not sure what sex mine is. I believe a male, but not certain. Is there a way to know for sure with the Green Mandarin?

tektite

Yes, if you look at the first picture of my male you see the spike on its first dorsal fin, that's how you tell its a male. The female's is round with no spike - like this pic of my female red scooter:

IMG_6344copy.jpg

It can be harder to tell the younger they are, and it may take a little patience watching them to tell :)

jessemac

Awesome, thanks for the info. Also, very nice looking scooter. I think they are a neat fish as well. Do you have any issues between the scooter and the Mandarin?

tektite

Last night I finally stayed up late enough to catch some eggs. This is the first time I've gathered them so not sure if they're fertile or not.

IMG_6403.jpg

tektite

Well, all the eggs of the previous batch I collected were infertile. Just collected some more last night and a few were fertile this time. I now have 13 prolarvae :) These guys are so tiny!

IMG_6445.jpg

Really wish I had a macro lens right now...

tektite

I have a 75 gallon aquarium that is my phyto supply. The rotifers I got from a local hobbiest are propagating like crazy, at the moment the only thing I'm using them for is raising some peppermint shrimp larvae. They are L strain though, I need to get some S cultures started. Tigger pods are propagating extremely slowly, I haven't started cultures of anything else yet.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
So in lowly non-breeder talk that I can understand :))), are you able to feed them?

tektite

I'm not sure if the L strain rotifers are small enough for the mandarin larvae, I'm going to try and see if they'll eat it if I keep them alive long enough. I'm very new at this so not really sure! This tiny batch is my first proof that my mandarin pair is fertile and I am very happy about that. When I have more cultures of rotifers (getting some S soon, they're smaller than L), I will be catching more eggs and trying to raise them from there.

tektite

Finally got a little time over the holidays to collect a spawn 2 nights ago. Green mandarin larva 44hrs post spawn:

11-3.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
These under the microscope or a new design for a stealth submarine?

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back