Green mandarin - Synchiropus splendidus

tektite

Finally saw my green mandarin couple together before lights-out and got some pics :)

My male:
IMG_6259copy.jpg

IMG_6257copy.jpg

My female:
IMG_6244copy.jpg

Together:
IMG_6281copy.jpg

IMG_6314copy.jpg

IMG_6287copy.jpg

I've begun cultures of phyto, rotifers, and copepods. I haven't captured any eggs yet, but I'm excited for the future!

N83259

Fantastic pics! I'm counting the days until I think my system has the pod population to support one. What kind of pods are you going to culture, I'm going to take a crack at culturing some Tiger pods myself. Supposedly very easy but they are reported to be free swimming. Do you think a G.M. will eat something in the water column or does the food need to be on the rock and/or substrate?

tektite

I started culturing Tigriopus califoricus (tigger pods) a couple days ago, so it'll be a week or so till I know if they're reproducing. I believe they are, but I like to be sure. I've seen my mandarins snag food out of the water column, but only in areas of almost zero flow where they can inspect the food before they eat it, like they always do. I've seen lots of the pods on the sides of the bucket they're in though, so I don't think that'll be a problem. I'll be experimenting with starting cultures of other copepods/amphipods/muniid isopods soon too.

N83259

Thanks Tek, great info. Can I ask where you got your starter cultures? I's time to get started!

tektite

The rotifers I got from a local clownfish breeder, the tigger pods from a LFS, and the other pods will come from my tanks.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Love It!

I have a breeding pair of fat mandarins! Keep me in the loop what works n I will do the same. As for now seems I only c em together at night!

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk

ReefAddict

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! My favorite little fish.;) Waiting on a very special friend, vendor to train another batch to eat frozen food.;)

N83259

Tom/Tek...thanks!

Tom. I didn't see the Tiger Pods listed specificlly in the ReefPod line. They are appealing b/c my reading says they're easy to culture and can be fed regular flake fish food.

I'm thinking of trying 2 different cultures, 1 from ReefPods at the source you cited. Which variety did you use? Did you add them to the fuge or culture them outside your aquarium? Do you feed them phytoplankton on a regular basis or do they munch on the detrius? Do your cultures last along time or do you experience crashes. Thanks as always - Pat

dmatt88

Hey Pat, u have a refugium? Somebodies chaeto is a super food source.

N83259

Matt. No refugim yet. But might just go that way, but I've been resisting. Despite all the excellent threads on the Red Sea forum, it still looks a little daunting for a DIY project. And as for the prefabricated units, I still haven't been able to wrap my mind around the siphon return thing & the risk of a flood has me a little nervous. Plus I'm not sure about what overflow would work on the RSM 250. That's why I was thinking of culturing outside the system, but trying to figure out how reliable that would be. I'm plumbing challenged I guess & need to see one in operation to really "get it." - Pat

dmatt88

If you have a sump, a little bit of egg crate can make a chaeto/pod factory. Under $10 n 15 minutes!

dmatt88

If ya need chaeto full of pods i'll hook ya up. Couple of Aiptasia but their easy