Got this all over my rock and sand!!

Hi All
This is a new RSM 34G tank, since May 8th. In all my years I've never had my tank go through this while cycling! Is this normal, and if not! 20150516_120146.jpg
  1. I've done a 10% water change 2 days ago.
  2. I've cut back the hours on the lights (running the Actinic only 2 hours, and the LED blue for 8 hours)
Let me know if I should do something else.

DaveK

I can see the spots on the live rock and sandbed, but your picture is so blue that it is impossible to tell exactly what is going on. Could you try taking another picture under more natural lighting conditions? Turn off any actinic lighting.

Yeah I had ruled that out!
I'm thinking this is because all rock introduce into the tank was dry! In all my years in the hobby, I've always used live rock from someone system. What's your input on this.

DaveK

It looks like an outbreak of cyano. It's not bad at this point. Don't panic and do all sorts of things to your system. New tanks tend to go through a few cycles of all sorts of different algae blooms the first few months.

Check your nitrate and phosphate levels both in the tank and your new water. Sometimes this is the source of the problem. It could also be from the dry rock. You'll have to just wait that one out, but that isn't as bad as it sounds. If it gets a lot worse, work on control of the algae problem. A good clean up crew can do a lot here. Most people use multiple methods in there battle against nuisance algae.

Yes I will definitely check the phosphate and nitrate tomorrow. Actually I had checked perimeter a few days ago, but not the phosphate. Going to the LFS tomorrow and pickup a new test kit something more reliable. Maybe drop a few nassaris snail to move the sand.

sirrealism

Nice to see a local on the site. I am in Hudson. I have lived in Spring Hill before. Had my auto repair shop in Spring Hill.

Tank is doing better now! No more hairy stuff on the rocks!
20150630_130426_zpswghfy81q.jpg

20150630_130454_zpsmfsc2r92.jpg