Google maps under water!

steved13

PREMIUM
Next to Google Search and YouTube, the search giant's maps product has become a resource on which millions of users have come to rely. This point was driven home recently when some users complained loudly about the omission of Google Maps as the default maps app within iOS 6. Now Google is boosting its comprehensive cartographic data by adding panoramic underwater Street View-style imagery to Google Maps. The stunning images show off detailed underwater views that offer an immersive experience previously only available to scuba divers. A brief introduction video (below) reveals exactly how eye opening this new feature in Google Maps will be for most users. Google obtained the imagery through a partnership with The Catlin Seaview Survey, a project designed to expose the hidden world that exists in oceans around the world, beginning with the Great Barrier Reef.

Read the whole story

359475-google-street-view-underwater.jpg

ChrisY

Dangit, Steve beat me to the punch.. :) I was going to post this.

I was checking some of them in the Philippines and it brought me back to diving there.. Absolutely fantastic and being able to drive around the reef is cool.

Google Maps

Chris

Choff

I see many practical applications where this could be useful to us....

JJ can I order the blue acan located at 18.2861 deg S, 147.7000 deg E?

Thanks!

Sent using Tapatalk 2

lbiminiblue

Lol yes i could use this when looking for collecting areas and reefs

And how do you change the location? and how do you get to underwater view?

Last edited by a moderator:

scctundra04

When does this go into effect. I have tried looking it up on my new map application dl, but it cannot find it

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I read the story but I don't remember it giving dates but they do have a link to some of the places and it's pretty cool.