Going Rimless....

carmexx

Hello Folks!
I am going to start a new thread on my journey through this exciting hobby.
I have an old thread referencing my evolution from a beginner to now, an informed, patient (well i like to think so), methodical perfectionist that can never get anything right when I think It is. Anyway, here it is in a nutshell. I dabbled in FW and SW in my younger years (late 80's) and didn't know the first thing about this hobby. I thought SW was cool, loved the coral and the Condy Nems at the LFS. I went for the 38 gallon and added coral and fish(damn damsels).......of course under sub par, single t8 bulb lighting, wooden air stone counter current skimmer and of course everything went to mush I tried to keep. The Nems, devils hand leather, and I thought the coolest rock was the one's with Aiptasia on it!! HaHa.

Moving forward....2009 brought on the bug again to get back in. I went with the 30 gallon and started with a crushed coral/50lbs live fiji rock from Premium Aquatics. Well doomed from the start I put the rock right in the tank, no cycling(what the heck is that) and had fish in 1-2 days later. I started with an indigo dottyback and 1 occelaris clown. I still have them to this day! Thanks to my fellow reefers here. I added 1 more smaller occelaris clown. According to what I read here that was necessary for them to pair successfully. Then went for the Lawnmower Blenny of course for algae control. Nope! Didn't work! Well now I am at 4 fish, which maxed out my tank. Oh btw, you tang police out there, where were you back in 2011 when I tried to add a scopas tang that I thought was small enough. Well, needless to say , It wasn't and I immediately took him back to the LFS. I didn't even care if they refunded me the money. They did though.

Whew. Well here is where I am now.......

I plan to move the contents of that 46 bowfront to my new Deep Blue 57 gallon rimless REEF READY!! HA my first drilled tank! I will also be building my first stand for the above noted tank. I have been buzzing with ideas looking here in depth for info from rinsing the 75 lbs sand in my bedroom..... to the 50 lbs of dry reef rock in the rubbermaid tub in the bedroom as well. Not to mention the RODI under my sink, empty 5 gallon buckets stacked high and a closet full of do dads.

Well here is the new tank....

and the sand...

the rock....

and the closet!

Yeah Yeah, I'm an auto parts guy!

Sorry to stretch this out but I want to try and paint a picture of my adventures in reef keeping and I hope to post more pics/comments as I proceed with the build. I am learning so much and it's fun, but damn why does everything have to be soo expensive!

carmexx

Oh and the T5 light over the rimless is just to give perspective and it was laying around. Did i ask if anyone is looking for a 5 bulb t5 36' lamp? lol

Blue Space

This tank, in the hands of a seasoned perfectionist, is going to be fabulous... or at least has potential! lol :D I can't wait to see this thing come to life!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I love that rimless tank.....I've seen a few and they are beautiful, especially with a well thought out scape. Tagging along on this one!

Phixer

It looks great and very clean. I never understood the trend/fascination with rimless tanks though? They look neat but arent as strong as a braced tank. Whats the practical reason for them? What is a "Nem" ? is that an anemone? That tank really looks good!

carmexx

Thanks everyone! What really inspired me to go rimless is the appearance really. I have seen so many tanks from members that look awesome. Having low iron glass for better viewability and being reef ready was what clinched the buy.

Today is the day I'll start the stand. It is Freezing outside! Luckily I have a garage to do it in. I'll take plenty of pics!

carmexx

I finally put the frame together for the stand. It's not going to be really detailed when I skin it. Just plywood covering on the back and sides. For the front , instead of doors, I am going to make a removable panel with trim on it and use magnetic fasteners. Or at least that's the plan. And so it begins.

carmexx

oh Lighting is AI hydra x2. I am going to hang them with wall rack shelf brackets using AI rails and they will be side to side. I'm going to mount the rails to the back of the stand on the ends and use the shelf bracket on either end to support the lights.

carmexx

Today was a beautiful day, so did some painting. First the tank. Spray painted it with Plastidip. One can did a few coats and i'm happy with the way it turned out.

carmexx

Got some new goodies from BRS in preparation for setting up the new tank.

And How about some more pics before the move...
I finally came to the decision to remove the HUGE toadstool from the tank to free up room. I felt really bad though
since my clowns were hosting it and now it's gone...so nowhere to sleep! But they are not completely lost...they have the RBTA.

Well I will try to work on the stand more today, the frame is complete. Now i'll try my hand at skinning it...It's just going to be simple.

tommyboynj

Looking good. When you skin that stand make sure you provide access to one of the short sides. You'll be amazed how much easier have not just front access can make things.