Glass thickness for large tank.

chefrt

I’m in planning to build large tank. The tank is 6’L x 3’W x 2’D. I need to know how thick the glass should be. Please, I need your advice for this project. Thank you.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Your best bet would probably be to contact a builder or email one for a quote on such a tank and they will send you the glass thickness and other info.

Is there a reason for building vs buying? I'd bet unless you can get your glass at wholesale cost it would be cheaper to buy.

jcgardner

It is cheaper to buy. I had to buy an 18"*17"*1/2" piece of glass and it was $47.00. Buy the tank and build the stand.

jcgardner

You can always check on craiglist and the local classifieds. I just got a 100g tank and stand for $50.00. Granted the stand turned out to be a junk but still it has only been about $150.00 for the stand build.

I would do what everyone else says... just as a reference though... I have a 225 and it is 6' long 3' deep 2' wide and I would have to say the glass is about 1/2" thick or so. But yeah... cheaper to buy the tank and then build the stand

Frankie

RS STAFF
That size tank I would go with 3/4" thick all the way. Better to be on the safe side.