ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I was waiting for you to Chime in Willie, and i knew you were gona say that LOL

And for me...for standard shapes, Glass is better

Willie McDaries

I was waiting for you to Chime in Willie, and i knew you were gona say that LOL

And for me...for standard shapes, Glass is better

:LOL: I wouldn't have used glass in my tank build,'cept I couldn't find the transparent plywood,seems to be a shortage of it :D

glass is easier for the average DIYer to work with,but unless you get low iron glass,acrylic is more transparent/clearer than glass,it's trade off is that it is extremely easy to scratch but don't think for a second that glass is impervious to scratches,mine has some terrible scratches and they can't,to my knowledge,be removed......with acrylic,scratches can at least be sanded and buffed back out,lots of work though,and extremely difficult,at best,for a running tank

if built properly,neither is bad for an aquarium,both have advantages and disadvantages,it's all a matter of what you like best......

I prefer glass,mostly because I've never tried working with acrylic,so I wouldn't trust my gluing abilities with it...I want to some day build an acrylic sump and try my hand at it but it'll be a long time down the road for that

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
:LOL: I wouldn't have used glass in my tank build,'cept I couldn't find the transparent plywood,seems to be a shortage of it :D

glass is easier for the average DIYer to work with,but unless you get low iron glass,acrylic is more transparent/clearer than glass,it's trade off is that it is extremely easy to scratch but don't think for a second that glass is impervious to scratches,mine has some terrible scratches and they can't,to my knowledge,be removed......with acrylic,scratches can at least be sanded and buffed back out,lots of work though,and extremely difficult,at best,for a running tank

if built properly,neither is bad for an aquarium,both have advantages and disadvantages,it's all a matter of what you like best......

I prefer glass,mostly because I've never tried working with acrylic,so I wouldn't trust my gluing abilities with it...I want to some day build an acrylic sump and try my hand at it but it'll be a long time down the road for that

You be sure to let me know when you find a good source for Transparent Plywood, I'll be first in line...well maybe 2nd, right after Willie.

As far as glass is concerned, I never go bigger than I'm prepared to loose on the floor. In earthquake country, the front panel can slide right off like heated butter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carlfike

You be sure to let me know when you find a good source for Transparent Plywood, I'll be first in line...well maybe 2nd, right after Willie.

Taking orders right now! Only $100000 a sheet backorderd until 2150

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
For 10,000 ill carve a woodgrain into a sheet of acrylic for u... what a deal! :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Acrylic is clearer (unless you have starphire glass), stronger, easier to find in custom sizes and much easier to drill. The big negative is it's easier to scratch particularly if you have sandbed and and although you can sand it even with water in it, it's a real PITA. If I had to do it over again I would've gone with starphire glass tank.

I'm going to have to say glass for me no matter what the size. Had a small acrylic tank, spent more time cleaning than enjoying it. Some glass may be more expensive, however there's the old saying u get what u pay for. To me glass just looks better. Especially if u design and build your own frame around it.