Glass or Acrylic?

• Glass

Votes: 25 96.2%
  • Acrylic

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StirCrayzy

As far as glass is concerned, I never go bigger than I'm prepared to loose on the floor. In earthquake country, the front panel can slide right off like heated butter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Im not willing to lose anything on the floor, that seems wrong to plan for ...?
seems you might just want to build the stand accordingly if this is a real common problem.
it would be easy to add an extra trim piece to cover an inch or so of the glass to keep it seated.
Or whatever other structural mods should be done.

Im not willing to lose anything on the floor, that seems wrong to plan for ...?
seems you might just want to build the stand accordingly if this is a real common problem.
it would be easy to add an extra trim piece to cover an inch or so of the glass to keep it seated.
Or whatever other structural mods should be done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they haven't really come up with an earthquake proof house yet, so I think your tank would be the least of ur worries during one. Even reinforcing with a larger frame might not help. I understand her statement.

StirCrayzy

They have earthquake proof housing, just not affordable.
Im assuming it was implied these were minor quakes that wouldnt normally damage a home.
An unbraced tank on an unsecured stand could rock the seals loose on glass.
My thoughts are if the tank was secured to the stand and the stand to the house it would be solid and move with the house .

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I would have a serious issue living in earthquake country. Im a west Texas Flatland Country boy. Good solid ground under my feet that doesnt jump around at random, is one of the things we count on and take for granted.

So far as an earthquate proof aquarium, they make em that will handle alot of crap...they are called bath tubs. The down size is, they are only viewable from above.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Phewee making me glad I'm only in tornado alley

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Phewee making me glad I'm only in tornado alley

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Matt u don't know how glad I am to live in the mountains of SW Virginia. The only drawback is all the trains. They have been known to shake the house a bit. Oh and then there's our power company. For some reason we can have a bad storm and won't lose power, but as soon as the sun comes out its off for 2 hours or more. That and snow storms. If I lived in earthquake country it would definitely be acrylic. No offense but forget tornado alley. I don't like the idea of reenacting the wizard of oz. lol

I would have a serious issue living in earthquake country. Im a west Texas Flatland Country boy. Good solid ground under my feet that doesnt jump around at random, is one of the things we count on and take for granted.

So far as an earthquate proof aquarium, they make em that will handle alot of crap...they are called bath tubs. The down size is, they are only viewable from above.[/
Bathtub? What u wanting a small aquarium. If its going to be done go big. An Olympic size swimming pool aquarium with clear sides and the house built around it. Can be the whole first floor with clear access panels in the second floor. Now that would be a dream aquarium.

Edison

About a year ago I was at the LFS and we were talking about glass vs acrylic. The LFS guy pointed to a tank and said "hey, you see those two hippo tangs and that huge eel? Well someone brought them in because his 300 gallon acrylic popped its front and spilled the contents of the tank on his floor." He said the fish were actually swimming in the water on the floor.

With that said, I'm having a custom acrylic tank built for my mantis shrimp but I trust the guy that's building it 100% and know it won't open itself a few years from now.

BLADEYAMAHA

Depends on the size of the tank you are building and how much it will weigh and your limits on your foundation in the end.

reefin101

Acrylic for me unless its just a small 40g under. I have had acrylic for over 10 yrs and yeah they scratch, but so does glass. But in general never had any major scratches or issues. Just take your time, stay away from the snad with floats and hand do the bottom few inches.

i trust welded seams more than sily cone long term too. I like the lighter and clearer too. Plus I like CLS and they are easier to drill.

Crazyeyes

Nice glass tanks are so elegant imo. My vote will always go to a glass tank. It's hard to beat a nice glass tank with black silicone.