Glass Drilling in Sump - HELP (York, PA area)

weimerheimer

Is there any DIY folks on here that live in the York, PA area that has experience and the ability to drill glass?

My son is building his own sump out of a 10 gallon glass aquarium. I have an external pump he can use on it, but it needs to be drilled for a bulk head to be installed. I lack the confidence and experience in glass drilling. If anyone is willing to help him out it would be much appreciated. I certainly would waiver any responsibilty should the glass crack or break. I understand that can happen to anyone doing this process and would certianly not hold that against anyone.

Please let us know if you can help. I think a 1/2" diameter bulk head would need to drilled at either 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" diameter for it to be fitted through.

Thanks!
Lonnie

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Drilling glass isnt hard, so long as you have the right equipment, patience and untempered glass. 1/2 inch bulkhead takes a 1 1/8 hole if memory serves. if you havent already purchased the Holesaw, look at 29mm 1.125 inch Glass Cutting Holesaw . Make a Jig(pattern cut from wood with a V shape to keep the wholesaw in place, mark the circle where u want it with a magic marker. Clamp the V in place and wet the spot. Start drilling at a slight angle with the wholesaw snug to the v(lean towards the sharp end of the V), and slowly lean till you are perpandicular to the glass. Once its started, remove the V, rinse the area down well(spray white material off with water, DONT wipe with any sort of towl. Let it dry a few min. Using plumbers putty, make a ring 2x the size of the hole and press it to the glass to make a ring around where the hole will be. Fill with water and drill through the water. GO SLOW. every minute or so, pull the bit, wash the hole out(when the water looks like milk, rinse it clean). Place some sort of padding underneath to catch the slug when it drops. in a 10/20g tank a hole can take 5-10 min. Slower you go, more clean the hole will be. I dont live close enough or i'd happily show ya. Glass-holes has some good videos though.

:ofr: Use a ruler and Youtube it. That's how I learned, teach him to try it himself. If you would waiver someone to try it for you why not let your son try it for himself. If it breaks on him he won't be able and blame anyone an he will learn from it. Then have him try it again. If he gets it right he will have learned something hands on after having researched it with his dad and it will build his confidence. Good Luck Buddy! "You'll never know you can do something until you try it."

By the way I bought a diamond cut whole saw kit on eBay fairly cheap. If your looking for just one size there even cheaper.

yankieman

I have drilled many tanks but I have found 10 gal tanks very difficult to drill most i ever attempted broke,,,im not sure but i think 10 gal tanks may be tempered glass,, i never have any problems with tanks larger than 10 gal,,

SubRosa

Drilling glass isnt hard, so long as you have the right equipment, patience and untempered glass. 1/2 inch bulkhead takes a 1 1/8 hole if memory serves. if you havent already purchased the Holesaw, look at 29mm 1.125 inch Glass Cutting Holesaw . Make a Jig(pattern cut from wood with a V shape to keep the wholesaw in place, mark the circle where u want it with a magic marker. Clamp the V in place and wet the spot. Start drilling at a slight angle with the wholesaw snug to the v(lean towards the sharp end of the V), and slowly lean till you are perpandicular to the glass. Once its started, remove the V, rinse the area down well(spray white material off with water, DONT wipe with any sort of towl. Let it dry a few min. Using plumbers putty, make a ring 2x the size of the hole and press it to the glass to make a ring around where the hole will be. Fill with water and drill through the water. GO SLOW. every minute or so, pull the bit, wash the hole out(when the water looks like milk, rinse it clean). Place some sort of padding underneath to catch the slug when it drops. in a 10/20g tank a hole can take 5-10 min. Slower you go, more clean the hole will be. I dont live close enough or i'd happily show ya. Glass-holes has some good videos though.

Good advice, but instead of padding I put a piece of duct tape under the hole on the panel I'm drilling. It keeps the plug from dropping and helps hold water in the bore hole when you first start to get all the way through.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I have drilled many tanks but I have found 10 gal tanks very difficult to drill most i ever attempted broke,,,im not sure but i think 10 gal tanks may be tempered glass,, i never have any problems with tanks larger than 10 gal,,

You wont wander if its tempered glass. As soon as the drill bit scratches it, it will shatter into pieces the size of a postage stamp or smaller. Most tempered glass tanks are clearly marked too. Tempered is uses more often on the Bottom pane than anywhere else. But like you, i've not had great luck drilling 10g tanks. 3 of 5 i tried either broke during the drilling, or had cracks develope shortly afterwards. I dont recommend drilling anything smaller than a 20. I use alot of 20g for sumps.

lbiminiblue

Is there any DIY folks on here that live in the York, PA area that has experience and the ability to drill glass?

My son is building his own sump out of a 10 gallon glass aquarium. I have an external pump he can use on it, but it needs to be drilled for a bulk head to be installed. I lack the confidence and experience in glass drilling. If anyone is willing to help him out it would be much appreciated. I certainly would waiver any responsibilty should the glass crack or break. I understand that can happen to anyone doing this process and would certianly not hold that against anyone.

Please let us know if you can help. I think a 1/2" diameter bulk head would need to drilled at either 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" diameter for it to be fitted through.

Thanks!
Lonnie
just use a power drill with a diamond bit, and build a little wall of plumber's putty around it. pour water in there to keep it from overheating, and cut away. Put a towel on the opposite you're drilling so the circle doesn't fall out and hit the glass. Really simple.