Gender of reefers

Are you a male or female saltwater enthusiast?

• Total voters

Cougra

Us women may be in the minority however we definately make our presence known! At least the men can count on us not to be the ones nagging about spending too much time and money on a "silly tank" all the time!

fishhead

Thanks for all your input. It was very informative. I thought that there would be around 30% Mermaids, rather than only the 25% that the poll showed

Thanks again,
Greg

boozeman

geez...for some reason the jingle from that old commercial is stuck in my head now...''I can bring home the bacon...fry it up in a pan...''

ikin

i think the majority of women are not into science or mechanically inclined. those two are pretty important within this hobby. not to offend anyone.

Chrismo

I worked with a LFS, making their webstore a year ago, and they had a contest to win an H&S skimmer. Of the people that signed up for the contest on-line (around 500 people total) 92 percent were male. I was surprised by that. But really I dont see many female reefers in the stores. It's usually a guy, and occasionally his bored gf/wife.

I dont understand why though. It's like underwater gardening, and I would guess that most gardeners are women.
Chris

lcstorc

Hmm, I guess My family and I are strange. LOL
I share the tank and tank work with my husband, but I do almost all of the research and participate in the forum etc.
My father has always been the gardner He is retiired now and has cut back but has at lease 75 rose bushed aqs well as probably the same number of other plants or trees.

saltwaterfarm

Right there with you Lynn... BUT, the only thing my husband does is hold the hose in the bucket until I get the water started for a water change. He does occasionaly tell me that something doesn't "look right".

Jendub

Have mixed emotions....I am happy to see more women joining the reef community but sad to see such a male dominate hobby.

My husband and I both love this hobby and do equal parts to maintain it.

I love to read that "my wife/girlfriend is getting involved". =)

DeepBlue

I for one am glad to see more women getting into reefing. I think that this should be a field for all to enjoy together. And I have to disagree with a earlier comment that women don't get into the science or are as mechanically inclined. I have known several women that love research in science and enjoy getting their hands dirty...and it is fun to watch!