gareefermans reef

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Re: gereefermans reef

Nope - we don't get much snow here at all. Some years we get none at all. They go crazy here too - the usual grocery stores running out of bread and milk the day before possible bad weather, etc.

Good question on old bulbs and cyano - I don't really know. Cyano is really a bacteria and not an algae, so I'm not sure if old bulbs would promote it or not - it's usually overfeeding and lack of flow. If the stock bulbs are past 6 -9 months it might help to replace them. Maybe it is something in the salt? I had a bit of the cyano off & on when the tank was newer, and it's pretty common to have to deal with it. If it's not much try to siphon it out without losing too much substrate (if it's on the bottom).

reeferman

thats what i was thinking too on it being bacteria and not algae.couldnt be flow or overfeeding,powerheads in same place as theyve always been,nothing obstructing them,i only feed fish a few pellets once a day and reef gets rods food twice a week.dendros,turbastreas,and duncans get mysis a couple times a week[very little]havent been doing anything different,never miss a 10 gal water change every week.another reefer around here reported to the lfs that he too had cyano after switching to neo marine,so it may be that.just looking for that smoking gun i guess.Terry,thanks for your fast response.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Interesting on the other reefer switching to neo marine getting cyano - maybe it is the salt.

reeferman

maybe,thats the only thing done different.i battled it out with cyano as new tank syndrone but that has been over 6 months ago.not a stitch of cyano or any algae until this.i am going to try a bucket of that new Seachem Salinity as soon as lfs gets it.ive heard rave reviews about it.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I just did some Google searching and the new Salinity salt seems to have been sold out at a lot of places. May be tough to get!

reeferman

yeah it sells quick.they get it in atlanta pretty regular and my favorite lfs owns a store up there also and hes gonna get me a bucket when they get it again.supposed to be really good stuff.

kjspruill

I have a 10 MP Sony digital camera. I will bring it over this week and take all the pictures you want.

reeferman

thanks Kent,that would be really cool.would like to get some of those micro shots i see everywhere.just cant get them with the iphone

reeferman

ive got some new bulbs on the way.bought more than i needed to try out different combos.giesemann midday 6k[couldnt find 10k]might be too yellow,giesemann actinic plus,giesemann pure actinic,ati aquablue special 12k i believe[just a hint of blue]the actinic plus had a much higher par than the pure actinic.i like the color of the stock bulbs and was wondering what combo of these bulbs might give me similar colors.any tips are welcome and thanks in advance

reeferman

bump my own thread to show how truly unlimited the rsm250 really is[from another post]

Max250

Impressive tank gareeferman :)

I've tried Giesemann combinations and ended up with 3 x Aquablue Plus and 3 x Actinic Plus, which is quite similar to the stock tubes. Replacing an actinic plus with pure actinic gives a slight pink/purple hue. I prefered the blue hue (and higher PAR).

I've also tried all aquablue plus and 4/5 aquablue plus with one/two actinic - coral growth rates are excellent under those but you don't get the blue look with that combo.

reeferman

thanks for the input Max250.im going to try that very combo.tried the 6k gs and they are definitely too yellow.

Max250

You probably know already, but the aquablue plus is a 60/40 combination of 6k and 22k (Actinic Plus).

Out of curiosity gareeferman, can you get to the bottom back of your tank? If a turbo snail was upside down right at the back of your tank could you remove it easily?

reeferman

it depends on exactly where it fell,some places yes,most places no.it would just end up as crab food.although, other than the rocks on the very back bottom used for stacking,the rest of the bottom is one continuous cave.i used some flat rocks to stack up off of,very stable even with pistol shrimp constantly bulldozing in and around them.learned from that mistake a long time ago after an avalanche cracked a tank!

Last edited:

reeferman

yeah hoping it will balance out.supposed to be white with a hint of blue.added just one 6k yesterday,and it is pretty yellow.was just interested in what it would look like with midday spectrum.rsm250 is my first run with t5s.switched last may from mh after several years.ive done a lot of research on bulbs but they are still fairly new to me.

reeferman

a few more pics
a side view
reeftank012.jpg

table acro
reeftank014.jpg

hi lighter acro and hawkins blue echinata
reeftank004.jpg

tye dye chalice
reeftank002.jpg

platygyra