Garage1217's 225G starphire build of pure awesomesauce

Garage1217

Thanks, the positive comments are very appreciated.

You can also calculate energy efficiency and plan out more efficient upgrades by using a calculator I built. I added it to this forum, located here...
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lectricity-cost-calculator-excel-03-07-a.html

I used this same calculator to trim my old systems usage from 9 cents a kwh down to 2 cents a kwh. This involved light changes, taking down the frag system and just using frag racks and so forth. Saved a ton of money. Hopefully I can keep this on at 3 cents a kwh, but I may need to add a couple of components as I have been eyeballing and thinking about building an ATS since I will not be running a fuge with this system.

I appreciate the comment on my abilities. I just dive in and go for any project. I had no idea how to tile a month ago, now my whole house is tiled, my shoulders still hurt and it looks great haha. I also had not ever worked with stone before, but decided since I had a tile saw, why not! *LOL* A few months back, I decided I wanted a nice large porch on my house. I have done concrete work, but had no idea how to build a porch so I asked some buddies, did some research and it passed code with flying colors the first time hahaha. Electrical however is my specialty, well low voltage anyways.

In my mind, anything can be done. Especially things others already do or have done. I just look at things and think about how it could be done, I do a little research and go for it.

Some pics of my projects this year... Sorry to photo bomb, just thought I would share all the fun I have had.... sorta... haha!

P1.jpg

P3.jpg

p4.jpg

p7.jpg

These pics were taken just after paint so it was sort of a mess still. But it was finished! Total size was 12'x35'
F1.jpg

F2.jpg

Garage1217

And then the tile project, A few quick pics...
My future bar area.... Need bar stools but that will come later. Above is a 13' granite countertop...
bararea.jpg

I did not make this, but turned out great.
medallion.jpg

Garage1217

Ok fun updates for the weekend....

- Started to drill and tap one heatsink. Tap snapped off mid way through on hole... 25 or so, so had to drill it out and have the holes welded back up DOH!!!! Crappy tap. Ordered some awesome 4-40 bottom taps that should not give me any grief. Then to make matters worse, My 4-40 stainless button heads I ordered in are wrong... received 6/32 so have to wait for the correct 4-40 to come in.

- Was planned on rocking the plumbing this weekend and then had to have my cats tail amputated :( Now I have a 12lb bobtail. So will have to put things off a few as the vet bill was uber high. Poor thing, no idea what happened. Wondering of one of the kids shut her tail in the door or something. No way to save it unfortunately.

- The company I ordered my cree leds in did not ship the correct royal blue leds so I am in a mess trying to get that fixed as it was apart of a group buy I organized so now I have to help everyone make arrangements.

- Will try to get the sump, ato and qt tanks prepped and in place tomorrow.

I am just spent mentally after the BS right now with the cat and leds so think I will zone out and play some brutal legend for a few hours.

rgfast

nice work on the tile, sorry hear about the cat poor guy. I plan on removing the carpet from room where my D.T. is this winter carpet and water just don't go good together LOL

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nice tile work.
Too bad your so far away, I have a job coming up I could use a competent person on.
Need more pictures of the aquarium BTW :D

Garage1217

Yes, Will have more tomorrow. Been sick / at the docs a lot so have not had much time to mess with the build. I want to try to get to blacking out some of the tanks going inside the stand tomorrow and possibly star the plumbing. Of course that depends on how I feel.

For now.... Here is one of my heatsinks almost finished :) All 5 are at this level and ready to be anodized black and then finish up the fixtures.

Step 1: Printed out a 1:1 scale of my drawings. It was dead on so just taped on a drawing and then taped one more section on as the layout was longer than the heatsink. I then used a hammer and punch and marked each hole that I wanted to drill and tap.
step1.jpg

Step 2: Remove the paper. You can see all the markings from the punch.
step2.jpg

Step 3: Setup your drill press so that the bit does not go all the way through. Then drill each hole and tap. I used a 4-40 tap as I needed small screws...
step3.jpg

Step 4: Use red scotch brite to give the aluminum a nice finish that does not look all scratched and marred up. I put in the 4-40 stainless button head screws on this heatsink to show how well everything lined up. Of course, if you use metal screws like these, you need to use an nylon or other type of non conductive washer under the head of the screw as it will short out if you do not.
step4.jpg

Garage1217

Well was an odd day. I went to home depot and purchased a cubic buttload / metric crapton of plumbing supplies to go along with the parts I ordered in from BRS. I got home and realized that I only ordered 1 of each bulkhead from BRS instead of two DOH! Well that screwed the days plumbing project so here is a pic of the potential project haha.

PLUMBINGSUPPLIES.jpg

I did get some items accomplished today related to the tank! Had to paint the back and sides of the 3 tanks going in the stand so everything will look top notch :)

Step 1: USE KRYLON FUSION! This stuff ROCKS! I used the black which has a matt finish cap but looks semigloss when applied to glass. It paints glass, silicone, anything you spray it on and it turns out GREAT! Best spray paint I have come across. A can does not go a long way but will paint the back and sides of a tank the size of a 40B. I used 2 1/2 cans to do these 3 tanks. A 40B, 20T and a 10G. It is a VERY dusty paint so use goggles and some type of filtration for your mouth / lungs / nose. Wish I had, black boogies suck haha. Also DO NOT USE THIS INDOORS, even out on my porch the cloud of fumes / paint was HUGE.
step11.jpg

Step 2: Tape up the tank accordingly so you do not get overspray on the plastic trim. Once taped, flip the tank upside down so the paint dust does not collect inside the tank while you paint. Then clean the glass with stoners glass cleaner in a spray can. Best glass cleaner of all time :) Once it is clean, go over it again with a dry paper towel just to make sure. No need for any other prep when using fusion.
step22.jpg

Step 3: Use long strokes / go back and forth in a nice even motion about 8-10" from the tank glass. Do one thin coat like this on the glass and let it sit for 4-5 minutes. This gives it time to fuse to the glass and partially dry. Then repeat again, and again. 3-4 coats and you should see zero light through the glass. Make sure the last coat is slightly heavy so the whole surface looks wet, that way you will see no streaks and the job will look professional. The coolest part of fusion, is that it is dry to the touch in 10 minutes or less. I pulled off my tape at 10 minutes and prepped the next tank! Quick and easy!

step33.jpg

A pic showing this tank finished. Turned out excellent.
step44.jpg

In this pic, you can see how perfectly smooth the paint job is. The paint itself makes it easy as I am no paint pro. Most spray paints will bubble or run off silicone which is very hard to paint, not fusion! Paints like you were painting anything else.
finished2.jpg

All 3 tanks after I finished. Going to let them sit outside overnight and bring them in tomorrow.
all3.jpg

IXL

I'm not posting my project after seeing this ,Wow...lol ! Great work ~
I'll get the cojones to do so, Even tho you've made me rethink to get a 225 gallon and kick out my 150 gallon....
How much did your 225 tank cost you?

BigJay

sounds like you got a pretty good deal there garage 2k for a custom 225 starphire DELIVERED ain't shabby at all! judging by the pictures they did an outstanding job putting it together.

BigJay

is that eurobrace assembled in cut pieces? Would they do a one piece eurobrace for you ?

Orcrone

I may have missed it somewhere so excuse me if you already explained. What are the three tanks being used for and why are you painting three sides black?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Man you got alot of projects going on and they are all turning out very nice!

Keep the updates coming :D