Fuge Necessary???!!!!!!!!

dennyamy

do you have seperate sections in your sump? If so why not put mangroves and other benificial algae in your sump.

Midnight

No its not necessary but it will save you a lot of work in the future with cleaning and stuff. It also gives your fish and corals another source of food.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
a fuge adds more water volume to your system which is a GREAT thing! I have to admit that I spend a LOT of time simply sitting and watching the diverse life in just my fuge not to mention now watching my Mangroves grow.

framerguy

Everything so far is true. They are not "required" but your tank and everything in it will benefit greatly from having one. I personally believe (and I am not alone) that the future of reefing is in multiple attached refugiums. I also believe that the secret to success for keeping a great many of the difficult corals will be found in refugiums. But to answer your question...no, a refugium is not necessary to have a beautiful reef.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I personally believe (and I am not alone) that the future of reefing is in multiple attached refugiums. I also believe that the secret to success for keeping a great many of the difficult corals will be found in refugiums.

VERY well put buddy! I'm already envisioning my next system with a LARGE portion of my basement dedicated to multiple refugiums.

yea its just i wanted to order a 100 gal cube off of Glass cages (30*30
*24)and its comes with two overflow holes, then i looked at the precision marine 24 inch sump/fuge/skimmer on marine depot and that would be perfect exept theres two over flow holes and i only have one so i dont know how that would work and also the pump section is on 3.75 wide so ive yet to find a pump that size. also i had two 90 gallon tanks i had to sell cuz i always got stuck and discorged on plumping and how ATO works. i was thinking that if i just had a simple berlin sump that would be easier.
my plans are 100 gal rimless tank
then 24 inch outer orbit 250 watt mh with t5s
zero edge tree stand
vortech pump
precision marine/sump/skimmer fuge

any help?

thanks

Jeremy0322

I can say to be careful about ordering from that site because from what i hear (RUMOR!) they tend to ship the tanks out without actually letting the silicone sealant cure, so you get it home and put water in it and within about 48 hours the tank is on your floor. If you order from them just let the tank sit for about a week before doing anything with it, that way the silicone takes hold completely. And i like the size choice, I want one the same size, maybe a little bigger but cubes are awesome to me!

Frankie

RS STAFF
I personally believe (and I am not alone) that the future of reefing is in multiple attached refugiums. I also believe that the secret to success for keeping a great many of the difficult corals will be found in refugiums.
I disagree. The future will be less natural filtration and more applied science with Probiotics. Most aqua cultured corals you buy today are on some type of probiotic or another. In order to keep these corals were going to need to adapt to there requirements. Wild corals will become a thing of the past in a short time as aqua culturing technology advances and more wild reefs like Tonga are banned.

dennyamy

I have a 180 gal tank with a 75 gal fuge/sump tank. I bought the tank and went to lowes and had them cut me 2 pieces of plexiglass and bought some silicone and did it myself. Saved a lot of money. 1st section has my fuge algae, live rock, sand, magroves, and some clean up crew. 2nd section has return from tank water with with protein skimmer and filter bag, 3rd has pump back to tank. I think this is the only way to do it right. I do very few water changes and tank is great. Have Lots of fish and corals

framerguy

I disagree. The future will be less natural filtration and more applied science with Probiotics. Most aqua cultured corals you buy today are on some type of probiotic or another. In order to keep these corals were going to need to adapt to there requirements. Wild corals will become a thing of the past in a short time as aqua culturing technology advances and more wild reefs like Tonga are banned.
I knew you would and wanted to hear your side. I still think natural filtration and nutrient export via refugiums is the way I want to go. I like refugiums, the way they look, the way the work, the way they stabilize the system, pretty much everything about them. I am not much up on probiotics so I can't comment on it.

I just want to reiterate that a refugium is the way that "I" want to go, not that it is the only way to go. When I saw you had to dismantle your refugium to go with the Balling system that counted me out of that technology.

Last edited:

Midnight

I understand what frankie means. In time we will not be able to get LR because there going to have to put limits on it at some point, so its not all in are tanks and not in the Ocean. That means we are going to have to find ways to help are corals grow without all the bio things. Well at least thats what I thought :) if not Frankie please correct me

yungreefer2410

also you could make a dt fuge with a fuge fish like a manderin thats what i plan to do. have lots of cool macro algaes and mangroves down there