Frustrated with my 130D-air bubbles

Gerry

I have been trying to solve an air bubble problem for months. I had small air bubble problems during the initial setup of my 130D. Not too many just a little annoying as it made my water looks cloudy. Over time it has progressed to where I need my water filled to the very top of the tank, I can only run 1 of the filter motors, and I removed the bio-balls, charcoal and filter pad. I have done these things in an effort to keep the back chamber of my tank with the highest water level possible. The 130D to me seems hydraulically flawed. The filter motors are mounted too close to the top of the water level and they constantly pull air into the water. I am at my wits end! And my tank looks like crap. Why would Red Sea put the motors so high in the design instead of deep below the water's surface? Can anyone help me with suggestions? Thank you!

tnwillia

There are some mods others did to drop their pumps lower and or replace them with Maxi-jet 1200s. I can't find them right now but others will know where they are. A 130 user will jump in to help you. Good luck. And, Welcome to RS!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Gerry. That design flaw has had every 130 and 130D owner asking why? I would have thought they would have done something about it with the new 130D but the flaw was carried over. If you're at the end of trying things have you thought about using the Tunze 9002 skimmer with the media rack? Do the bubbles cease when shutting off the skimmer?

Some have modded things to sink other pumps down into that chamber and use tubing to connect to the circulation outputs.

There may be one or more such mods in here:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/40252-rsm-130-130d-mods.html

Would the easiest fix not be to attach a small piece of plastic tubing to the intake duct on the bottom of the powerheads.That way they could be allowed to pull the water from as deep as you wish inside back chamber.

I only get bubbles when my skimmer is running as It probably isn't broken in or I havn't figured it out yet. The powerheads only create bubbles if, as you say, the water level drops in the back too much. Adjust the surface skimming cup or remove it completely to control the water level at the back. if it is positioned too high, the level will drop and you will starve the pumps.

The skimmer definitely has a problem with bubbles. It could be because it is not broken in yet. Mine just continued to have this problem so I had to get rid of it. imo it a not that good of a skimmer anyway. I have never had the Tunze 9002 but mostly everyone says it is a good skimmer for this tank. As for the pumps I don't use surface skimmer but I know a few people who have attached tubing to there pumps to prevent this problem.

Dash10

Just thought I'd add my two cents... I've been dealing with microbubbles for several years now, though they've never been too much of a bother. I also thought I might need to 'break in' my stock skimmer but to this day, the problem still persists.

I purchased the Tunze 9002 skimmer last weekend and I'm going to install it tonight... here's to hoping it might fix the issue!

Shamus

If you're thinking about the Maxijet 1200s, David Shaw has put those in his tank to replace the stock pumps - you could ask him what that has done for the bubble issue in his tank.