Frozen food in fridge

Quick question,

I’ve got a 15 day holiday planned, typically how long could I keep frozen food day portions in the fridge.

My lad will be looking after my Sun Coral and fish while I’m away and I was thinking, if I could simplify the feeding process by day quantity’s my coral and fish are more likely to be feed while I’m away, even if he just tips it in the tank.

Cheers

Stody0

Hi Steve

I will keep defrosted food in the fridge for about 3 days max i have the blisters in an ice cube tray to keep things from mixing, then change it.

What I do when i am away for some time is i put the little blisters of food still frozen in to plastic cups and get my friend to take them out and put them in the ice cube tray the night before he needs to use them, saves him having to mess around pushing the blisters out

Just have them all in plastic cups in the freezer.

Hope this helps

Al

BigJay

honestly I can't answer this factually but based on my own experience it starts smelling bad to me within about 48 hours after defrosting, about the same amount of time of any frozen seafood you buy from the store , freeze then defrost. If your particular food has preservatives in it , it may last longer.
I would suggest separating the food into individual baggies with dates written in marker in the freezer and tell your friend to pull that bag on such and such day and put it in the fridge. Usually it'll will take at least 24 hours for the food to defrost in the refrigerator if its in small cube form so plan for him to remove it 2 days before he is going to feed it to the tank.

kyley

Hey Steve,
What I do all the time is cut up my week's worth of frozen food and store it in a daily pill box that I keep in the freezer. You could do that (two pill boxes since you'll be gone two weeks), and then all your son will have to do is drop each day's frozen piece in a shot glass of RO or tank water, wait for it to thaw, then add to the aquarium (I actually rinse mine in RO water, then strain through a fish net, but you might not be able to get your son to do all that). Take care,
--Kyle

kyley

:) Thanks BigJay. It's worked great for me - especially when I need someone to take care of the tank... Take care,
--Kyle

Cheers Guys

Thanks for the pill box tip Kyle, seems straight forward enough even for a 19 year old. This might just work if I follow it up with a txt message every day or so. He’s taken care of the aquarium before and I’ve never come back to any problems. It’s just this Sun Coral that I’m trying to encourage to come out, I don’t really want my lad target feeding it, so it will just have to try and catch food until I get back. I know it’s alive because the heads do come out it just won’t fully open. I’m on a bit of a mission with this one so I’ll just have to continue to nurture it when I return.

My lad’s good boy but he’s nineteen and has a big social life and can be a little forgetful. I know what it’s like, I was his age once too' distant memory of enjoying life and not really having a care in the world :).

dizzyg

Have you tried liquid food, the Brightwell Aquatics you keep in the fridge and just add 5ml every second day.
couldn't be easier!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Be careful with the zooplankton, while a little might be ok, it's easy to think a bit more would be better & it will end up feeding a cyano out break.

Cheers Glenn.

What to do? I think I’ll stick with the frozen food in a pill (day) box and try the zooplankton when I get back.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers ! I think that would be wise... I feed it for the 1st three months, but since have gone to frozen for all the fish & coral.