From Soup to Nuts 150 gallon

IXL

Ladies & Gents ,

Ok , I think I have enough items to start this thread since my first Greettings.
I'm still in the process of selling my Fresh Water Flowerhorn fishes I have 4 to go -
In the mean time with the help of Eric, I have made the final buy on several items....

* My 150 gallon tank ( already had )

1: Mr-2 Skimmer ( in transit ):drooool:
mr-2.jpg

2: Berlin sump model-60 from ADHI ( buying a light & a divider to finish making it a Refugium ) :drooool:
adhi-berlin-60.jpg

This is what it should look like after it's done...
adhirefugium.17271305.jpg

3: 2 Mag drive 18 pumps :drooool:
02710-20-HR_m.jpg

4: Building a Coast to Coast Overflow - - 6'x3"x1/4 (second piece) 6'x6"x1/4

back-wide_500x375.jpg

( I'm having a hard time finding a smoked or black glass )
I'll gladly take your advice where to get this for this c2c for my 150g tank
( seems like my local places don't carry ).:cursin:
Link to the Coast to Coast Overflow. = BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

5: Black Beach Gravel #5 Premium Aragonite Reef Substrate ( In transit )
I wanted to do something different than the usual on this gravel, I'll try my best to make it work. Your thoughts?
Black Beach Gravel #5
Premium Aragonite Reef Substrate:
Ideal for reef system tank bottoms, denitrifying anaerobic beds, extremely high surface area filter media.
Aragonite Benefits:
Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand.
Item #: 10281
UPC: 029904102818
Grain size: 2.5-3.5mm
Packaged: 2 - 20 lb Bags per case

10281-black-beach-gravel-5%20ready.jpg

*wishlist -

1: Live Rock 50 lbs , 150 Dead
Origin-Haiti
Colors-Green, Pink, Purple
Tank Conditions-72-78°F-sg 1.023-1.025-pH 8.1-8.4-dKH 8-12
Supplements-Calcium, Iodine, Strontium, Trace Elements
Characteristics = Uncured, fresh rock that consists of ancient Lettuce coral heads that have been re-encrusted with coralline algae, sponges, tunicates, and macroalgae -Many open areas which enable better circulation, and a natural appearance, lighter weight -Moderate curing time

lg-89360-live-rock.jpg

2:To drill the tank in the back - ( in process of buying the items )

3: 8-way ocean motion ( I know it's overkill but, i'll be happy ) :rocket:
thumbnail.aspx

4: Dart Gold Pump ( for the 8 way )
3044b597816b1d7f.jpg

5: A Controller ( havne't chosen one yet , your advice , thanks)

6: Light : 72" Deluxe 3 x Metal Halide & 2 x 80W T5 Fixture by Hamilton Technology

hamiltonmhvhops5x3%201.jpg

7: * How to convet a DIY LIFEGUARD pond QL60 UV - into a carbon reactor or anything else. ( If I can't It's for sale )
It's the fourth one " double tube "
rainbow%20uv.jpg

I will update as I go along.
Thank you..

Last edited:

IXL

I have everything moving except things on my wish list , Im staying focus on the task at hand... *wipes the sweat*

I'm going with this Ro/Di , is this ok for my 150 gallon tank?
If yes , any extra stuff I should add to it...?

OCEANREEF1.jpg

$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
All systems are made to order with clear 10" canister housings
Stage One NSF rated 5 micron poly sediment filter
Stage Two 5 Micron Matrikx NSF rated CTO/2 Workhorse carbon block
Stage Three 0.6 Micron Matrikx NSF rated chlorine guzzler carbon block
RO membrane 75 GPD Dow Filmtec
Stage Five refillable cartridge with color-changing DI resin
100 PSI pressure gauge
Auto shut-off (Requires Float Valve or Switch To Work)
Membrane flush valve
Dual TDS meter
Quick connect fittings
Self Piercing Saddle Valve Water Supply Connection
Drain Connection
Filter wrench to make cartridge replacement easy

ADD ONS:
RO BYPASS VALVE $12
DUAL DI SYSTEM - E-MAIL FOR PRICING
100 GPD FILMTEC MEMBRANE OPTIONAL - $5

IXL

I was thinking that I might not need Powerheads with this 8 way
(Unless you guys recommend it )

* Rethinking this train of thoughts - 8 way is bursts of pressure while the powerheads are constant... I'm tkaing a wild guess that it would be a good idea to play one mp40 vortech on one end and another one at the other....

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I am a big fan of the 8way IXL. I suggest using it. OM is one of the most versatile ways to have flow that replicates the ocean IMO. The Dart is a strong pump but when the flow is split up like in an 8 way it lessens the pressure and gives more of a current when done right.
You can have it change out so your not just getting one jet per motion but 2,3 or 4 jets at the same time and changing rotation.
I would suggest calling the OM people and asking them what there options are for your particular setup. I hear they are very customer friendly.
Looks like a very cool project your starting up here :thumbup:

IXL

Updating ...

All this time I've been talking with builders in regards to building my tank I had a 150 Gallon (which I broke while drilling holes on it...) *Yikes, so now I went on a hunt for a 180 gallon.
Unfortunately they ( the builders ), all have been coming in the 3,000 - 5,000 price range , Truvu has a very good rep & has come in the lowest by Thousands of dollars !
I will continue to work on this project as I live in NYC , on a 2nd floor and I dont pay for water ( *sniker* ). A aquarium of this size is sure to get me in trouble with landlord. I must get it shipped to a friends garage & take it to my apartment at 4AM when everyone is sleeping in my building (lol).

Please see below for quote from Truvu....

Hello IXL,

The 180 L ,Acrylic (72x24x24) with a black back, external 72x5x6 coast to coast overflow & 13 holes would be $1,531.98.

Thank you,

Laura

TRUVU AQUARIUMS
(800) 800-6171

rufus2008

just ã heads up, the new Tank is supposed to be 180 gallons right? the quote says 180 litres, that's a lot less than gallons my friend!

jpsika08

IXL,
Great news on the tank (and LOL sneaking the tank in), from the dimensions you posted above It's definetly 180 Gallons, maybe the L stands for long.

Check my tank, I already did BeanAnimal's C2C Overflow system, even so I took some videos of it, I haven't been able to remove all the noise from it but it still needs tunning.

I didn't placed any black or smoke cover to the internal C2C overflow, I did for the back of the DT, but I do think I will eventually do it with a black acrylic which is water proof.

The Reeflo Dart Gold is a great pump, I have it on my return and works great, doesn't make any sound, it's even quieter than my PanWorld 100PX-X that I use for feeding Fuge and Skimmer.

The 8-way sounds really cool but I would prefer much more using powerheads, easier to maintain and you don't need to drill your tank, that means less holes less leaking to worry about, IMHO.

For the controller I use APEX as the majority of users, DA is a really good one but Neptune has much more time in the market and with that, more users, so you will find lots of help around easier. If interested on the DA, Marinedepot.com has an exclusive offer for the Lite module for Black Friday only.

For the RO/DI, I bought a Vertex Puratek 100GPD with booster pump included from ebay (NEW), US $ 309, I saw some video of guy reviewing it's RO/DI, he lived in NYC, he was commenting he needed to increase PSI because of the lack of it so he invested in an additional booster pump, to avoid this you can also consider the one I mentioned or buy a booster pump (with flush kit) for the system stated above.

Great project keep updating us, anything I can help count with it :)

BTW Happy thanksgiving.