From lurker to poster! :-D

KDC

Hello everyone!
I am a Loooong time lurker who has finally gotten tired of the message at the top of the screen reminding me that I have yet to make my first post. So I... :surrender: I have kept saltwater tanks on and off for about 14 years, but everything changes so often and there are so many ways to do things that I have been searching for an open minded and friendly forum.
And to be perfectly honest though, I do have a few questions that I am hoping you all can help me with. :p
One involves a long distance move in February, one is about starfish legs-yes legs only :) , and the other one that just happened today involves my Yasha Shrimp Goby pair and two snapping shrimp. Instead of posting them here, I will try and find the correct forum for them.
Now for the boring, but somewhat pertinent stuff! :-D
I am a military wife with four wonderful children who are 4.5 years old, 3 years old, 2 years old and 7.5 months old. We are currently stationed at the War College in Newport RI. At the moment we have one somewhat large puppy and three tanks. Hence the reason I have been a lurker only for so long. LOL
My children love my tanks, but that has at times proven to be a slight problem. For example: When we were stationed in Japan, I had a small nano (maybe 8 gallons?) and my oldest daughter decided the fish were hungry, so she shared the mushrooms off her pizza. Luckily my husband noticed something "funny looking" in the tank and got me before it caused any problems or disappeared. :rolleyes:
I currently have a 6.5g freshwater, (I wanted to donate the fish to a neighbor, but my husband has kind of adopted them. I figured I'd better encourage any interest at all, even if it is freshwater!), a 37 reef and a 29 AIO with a couple of softies. I am currently waiting for a custom light from nanotuners.com and cannot wait to see how well that will come out! The 37 will be upgraded once we reach our next destination... I am not sure just how large the new tank will be because I cannot get my brother-in-law to measure the tank!
Anyway, I hope to see you all later in the forums once I squeeze out a few minutes to myself and am able to get my questions posted!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! :hallo:

Yep - pizza mushrooms aren't a good tank food LOL!

seabass

That must have been cute watching your daughter feeding the fish mushrooms.Glad she got caught before anything bad happened,but you must have laughed some.Personally i like to use pepperoni it is more of a floating food.WELCOME TO REEF SANCTUARY.Ask all you want alot of nice people here who will help you.

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!

I was born and raised in RI. I spent a lot of time in Newport, lots to do there, enjoy it while you can...I don't miss the winters at all though. Although the mansions are a pretty drive by when it snows.

KDC

corrado007, tnwillia, nanoreefing4fun, reefmack,
Thanks for the welcome! It will be nice to talk to people who don't get that glazed look in their eyes whenever I get started talking about my tanks and the "bugs" in it! :bouncer:

seabass, I'll be sure to pass on your advice to my daughter! I'm sure my fish will appreciate it! LOL

steved13, I got to do a little sightseeing, but this summer had some wicked hot temps (NO AC!! HOW DO YOU LIVE LIKE THAT!!) :-D My kids aren't exactly of an age that I was comfortable taking them into all of the little stores around here. I'm just real sad that there aren't any fish stores on the island. We live in Fort Adams so we get hit with the winds right off the water and with all the snow that just came it... it's been fun. The mansions are gorgeous in the winter and especially now with all the lights.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've been away from there for so long I wouldn't have any idea of an LFS to recommend.

If you ever want a long drive, I used to go to Topic Isle in Framingham MA. I saw somehting recently that made me think it was still open. They were the big place 20 years ago, it sounded like they still might be, but it's a 1-2 hour drive from Newport. There used to be a place, I think it was Rumford aquarium, that was decent also, not to far over the bridge for you, I don't know if it's still there or not. I think that's where I bought my parrot that I still have about 17 years later.