Freshwater Jellyfish

HightideTN

Anyone ever heard of these guys? A mountain lake here in NE TN has them swimming around in the middle of the lake in the summer. They are about the sice of a quarter.

Nellis

I believe Oliver Knot had some in one of his planted tanks in Germany, but I haven't heard anything about them since then. I remember reading that they exist in almost every state in the continental U.S.

Found it. Link 1

Link 2

-Nate

NanoNewbie

Yes I read about them just week ago. They have them in lakes all around the country. I live in Sacramento and there are some in a resevoir near here.

HightideTN

The life cycle, if memory serves, may skip the free swimmer and remain a walking (tumbling rather, head to foot) polyp on the bottom of the lake.

Really neat creatures. the nature center at the lake talked of setting up a captive group. I'm not sure of their progress.

my freshman year i seen them in my science class my teacher had caught them outa lake michigan for us to have in our tank in class.

reefjitsu

I participated in some studies on them when I was in college. Pretty cool critters, but they spend most of their life as polyps if I recall correctly. It can be pretty cool to see when they are in 'bloom' though.

It seems that I remember there being some barrier to keeping them in the medusa or jellyfish stage i captivity. I think that you can keep them quite easily as polyps though.

Anybody seen the freshwater sponges?