Fresh Start

RailroadReefer

I had a saltwater reef set up a few years ago. Started with a 20g then moved to a 55g. It made it through several moves but then life took over and I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. We should be in our new home in a few months so I am starting to get the bug again to build a new reef. The wife is even on board so I figure I better keep the momentum going.

Here is a photo album from the old 55 Gallon Reef

I am now in the planning stages and have been considering a ready to go system like the Red Sea Max 250 or maybe even a 400/500. But also like the idea of having a reef controller so it seems like a complete DYI system may be better for going that route...

I live 20 mins away from Pet Supplies and Fish Supplies at That Fish Place - That Pet Place so getting any kind of supplies shouldn't be an issue.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:welcomera Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!
You had an awesome looking tank before & with what you already know & the help you'll get here....getting set back up in this exciting hobby will surely be a breeze for You!
I'd say get as BIG a tank as you comfortably have room for but not so big as to become a chore for your water changes.
I love my Red Sea Max 250...it's just right for me. 18years ago I had a 135gallon & it was too much to deal with after a move.
I understand where you are in wanting to get back in the hobby.
Make sure to start a thread journal here at RS when you get your tank. Glad to have you joining us! :biker

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

RailroadReefer

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

I will start a chronicle as soon as I decide which way I am going to go. It will probably be a month or so until the new place is ready to move in to. Also if I decide to go the RSM S-line route it may take even longer to save up the cash!

RailroadReefer

Maybe if I list some of my "wants" I can get some advice on the direction to go.

Here are the fish I would like to have:

Clowns, maybe even a fancy pair w/Anemone possibly
Red Sea Sailfin (if I go with a larger tank and would a 120 Gallon be enough?)
Blennie ( Midas, or Starrie)
Clown Goby
Royal Gramma
Chalk Bass (maybe a 2 or 3?)
And Mandarin Dragonet (Once Tank is established)

Corals

Zoas
Finger Leather
Toadstool Leather
Hammer
Frogspawn
Mushroom

Inverts besides a CUC
1 or 2 Cleaner Shrimp
Tridacna Clam
1 or 2 Feather Dusters

I'm leaning towards a bigger tank, but the RSM 250 is not completely out of the picture yet.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sounds real good Ryan! I'm happy with the RSM 250, but after seeing your DIY ability.....I'm just thinking you need to go a little bigger to be happy. That's just my gut feeling. Also, consider that clowns will host some coral & they don't move around and get to be a pain in the tank. I don't see crabs on your list :eek:lsmile: ...I omitted them from mine too ;) I just wish I hadn't put in a coral banded shrimp...I can't catch him or he would be outta there.
Hurry up & get moved....You need a tank NOW, LOL! :spinner: I'm excited for you already!

cgkrick

I have a 9 month old RSM250 and also live close to That Fish Place. Some successes, some struggles. Looking for a reef group in the area to hook up with. Any suggestions?

RailroadReefer

Sounds real good Ryan! I'm happy with the RSM 250, but after seeing your DIY ability.....I'm just thinking you need to go a little bigger to be happy. That's just my gut feeling. Also, consider that clowns will host some coral & they don't move around and get to be a pain in the tank. I don't see crabs on your list :eek:lsmile: ...I omitted them from mine too ;) I just wish I hadn't put in a coral banded shrimp...I can't catch him or he would be outta there.
Hurry up & get moved....You need a tank NOW, LOL! :spinner: I'm excited for you already!

I'm looking at going with a 120g, bigger then I want at first but I don't want to spend money on something smaller and have to buy all new equipment down the road.

carmexx

Hey Ryan.....Loved the 55 gal! It's so funny, I think we shopped the same coral shops....here's mine.
IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Sorry got carried away with the pics.....don't mean to hijack ...just thought it was funny. Like looking in a mirror.