frequency of water changes

johnmiami

I have a 90 gallon reef about 3 1/2 months old now. Not having too many problems but want to make sure I'm getting as much information as I can to keep it that way. Every store I go to has a different opinion about things so I get a little nervous.

My question. Is there a usual practice for quantity and frequency of water changes? And as far as feeding is there a frequency for that as well? fish/corals? My fish are constantly hungry and they eat like piranas. (sp)

Comments?

BigJay

I do 10-20 % water change a week. Minimum would be 20% every 2 weeks. Some tanks need more changes though.
I feed generally every other day but I have no live stock that has high dietary needs. Every species will be different.. some need fed 2 or 3x's a day some almost never be fed.

blue_eyes53813

HI Welcome to RS, Every tank is different for both feeding and maintenance. If you get good readings and say ( just an example) you do 10% every other week water changes and every other day feedings you can keep the current schedule.

If you start to run into water parameter problems you will need to rethink your schedule and maybe up the water changes to weekly and feed less.

It depends on your livestock load too. If your tank is over filled you may need to do 10-20% weekly. Everybodys tank is different.

All you can do is watch your readings and make changes from there..

Right now I am doing 10% weekly but I had a nitrate issue so had to up it to 2x weekly... In time you will get use to your livestock and corals(if you get any) and they will kinda let you know when the water parameters are off.

Also be real careful not to over feed, Fish ALWAYS look hungry adn that may cause algae problems. Fish can go up to 5 days without starving in between feedings so every other day feedings are usually enough, except for tangs who need to graze daily.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome :)

All good advice up above. I'll tell you how I handle ALL of my tanks and you can digest it as you need to.

I have:

1x 10g Frag Tank with one 6-line wrasse and lots of corals
1x 6g Nano Reef with 1 goby and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and corals
1x 12g Nano Reef with 1 Tomato clown, 1 Fire shrimp and corals
1x 90g tank pretty well stocked *not heavy* and some corals.

I do water changes the same on ALL of the tanks *and all at same time too*
Approx 15- 20% weekly unless vacation or LIFE changes that and then it's a 2 week trip.

As for feeding I feed at the MOST every other day and I still only feed what the tank will consume in about 5 minutes time. I do have a yellow tang and she always has some NORI on a clip that I refresh almost daily.

Once a week I will do "Target" feeding of my corals with all pumps off.

My fish are healthy and do well with this feeding regimen and my water parameters are about as GOOD as can be. I do skim heavy on the 90g tank.

johnmiami

Thanks for all the advice. I have been feeding daily. And everyone eats like they have never eaten before, especially my barbed jacks.

BigJay

fish are oppurtunistic feeders. A steady stream of hand outs just doesn't occur naturally. Even though it sounds bad you always want them to be hungry and don't give into begging. Some fish are very much like dogs and intellegent. They can learn the reward system quite easily. If I do this I get food. Feed enough that its completely finished while they are still aggresively feeding. If the feeding frenzy turns into a slow pace with the occasional nibble while food is still floating around its too much food.

burning2nd

hello....
Ill start by saying... generally unless you have a LEET Lfs... there advise is like... A@#&&(^s everyone has one and they all stink...

its totaly depended on your system, your fish, what you feed, when you feed, how much you feed..

as said... fish can be pretty smart with feeding... they know..
i feed my fish the same way evey time.... they often come to the feeding spot even when im not feeding.. (at that time)

your probably feeding a little heavy.... it seems to be common that when someone asks "am i feeding to much" they are...

i did once 2.... so its normal..

water changes.. go hand and hand... feeding and water changes.

i feed every other day, and switch between tanks.
water changes Saturday Tuesday, Thursday

there really shouldnt be any food floating around... they will make quick work of it...

i also feed for about 2-4 min depending on what im feeding...
nothing should really make it to the ground

johnmiami

Ok, I'm from the south (Virginia) and we were always eating. Grandmothers were preparing the next meal before everyone was up from the table eating the last one. So its in my head "THEY MUST BE HUNGRY" They haven't eaten in a whole day. And they do eat. I will back off. I will have to not look at the poor things every other day starving to death then. :)

Varga

IMO the trick is to under stock your tank! this way if you get a little lazy on WC's, and I do :), you dont have to worry too much. I do 10% every 10-12 days.

PaulB has a 38 year old tank and he does 10 WC's per year! (thats if I remember correctly) :)

good luck

johnmiami

so r water changes not that critical? He is barely doing 1 per month??? What am I really trying to achieve w/ the water changes then?

BigJay

PaulB has a 38 year old tank and he does 10 WC's per year! (thats if I remember correctly) :)

good luck

way to go varga. When someone has a 38 year old tank that falls in witts signature . Do as I say not as I do. Someone who has extreme experience can get away with certain things usually they have some kind of set up that allows it. Its not for the rest of the 99.9% of the hobbyiests.

Water changes not only rid your tank of waste products but it also replinishes trace elements that are added to the salt mixes. They are arguably the singly most important aspect of fish keeping.

in other words do them.. do them often and do them in the correct recomended 10-20% a week

johnmiami

ok I will do them more often. However, when I have added water its always been fresh because my salt has always been on the high side so I have never had to add more salt. Is that a problem?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
When you "add" water that's called "top Off" water. All you're doing it replacing the water that has evaporated. Correct in NOT adding salt to that water. Just make sure it's RO/DI water and not tap.

Water changes is where you siphon out 10% - 20% and replace with freshly mixed salt water. You want this newly mixed salt water to match your tank parameters as closely as possible. Temp, salinity, PH etc. This minimizes any shock due to water parameter changes.

With experience and stability you'll "Learn" your tank and you may be able to extend your water change schedule. The trick it to know WHEN it's safes to do so and how to know when you're "pushing your luck". After some time you're tank will talk to you and tell you what it needs... either via appearance or water test results.

good luck and go change your water :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
A smart guy it seems :)
Pretty much for everyone if your not doing a water change at least every month your slacking big time. You really need to know your system and what it can handle to do it like Paul. Guy's like him should not have even told you guys what he is doing at this point in his hobby. Most of what he does took years and years of experience, (trial and error) to know whats best for his particular system.
I highly recommend no less then every other week 10-15% water changes.
Not to far off from Paul I was good for 3 times a year before starting Zeovit. Because they have strict rules of once a week I have now begun that. (it has not been easy to change) Following the recommended suggestions for your particular system will reap the harvest.