Foaming filter sock??

Soo, I just set my tank up, got the return pump pumping, and after a few hours I noticed the filter sock had foam foaming over the sock and into the sump. Is this normal to foam like this at first? Or what should I do to prevent this? It just seems like it defeats the purpose if stuff is flowing over the sock and into the sump instead of through the sock. The water level is about an inch or two below the top of the sock.
Thanks for the help!

3e73b6a6fa8003cc32faf38c4a6e9610.jpg

I didn't clean it with anything, that's the first time I used it. I ran tap water over it earlier but it was dry before I started everything up.

I think it's related to air some how. Leak in PVC? Not a good syphon maybe sucking in air? I took the sock off and very fine bubbles are being produced.

That's what it is. I have two outlets in the overflow box, one has a 90 PVC pointing up that water is flowing into, but the PVC is not submerged, so it is sucking in air causing bubbles. If I turn the 90 down, the water level drops in the overflow and the other outlet sucks In air..any ideas how to make both inlets be submerged in water to eliminate sucking in air?

mikecc

Put a valve on one outlet to choke it back?

You only got one sock?

Both outlets go into the one sock?

Just spitballin' here, cuz I dunno.

Kinda like a skimmer, huh? Air strippin'

DaveK

Since this is a new tank, and not really had the chance to get going yet, I suspect that something was contaminated with soap or something similar. If the tank were running a little, then I'd say the bubbles were similar to the material that a skimmer removes. In that case though a lot of other dirt would tend to be trapped.

You could use a skimmer to remove the foam, but you don't know what else is in there that shouldn't be there. Since it's a new tank, you want to get it started good. I would tear the tank down clean everything that isn't alive with FW, and set the tank up again using new water. Better to put in extra labor now that try to fix this after you put livestock in the tank.

Yeah, both outlets go into one sock, I didn't see the point in having two socks, lol.
And since I used RODI water and it is a new tank, is there any way I can just test the water to see if it's still pure?
I have a skimmer, but haven't put it in yet.

I just don't see how it could be contaminated..all i've put in the tank is some sand I got from a guy I know, a bag of live sand from Petco, some live rock, and the water. I didn't use anything to clean the tank/sump except for water.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't think I'd be comfortable with those bubbles in my tank. "Some" bubbles are acceptable but they are usually very small and don't have the same "consistency" as the ones you have. Simple air bubbles that we normally encounter in our tanks are short lived (pop pretty quick usually before they can collect on the surface and are much smaller in composition. I have to say that I've yet to see any like what you have pictured and it would give me great concern unless I could find out exactly what happened or what's causing them. Keep in mind the bubbles are not the problem they are merely a "symptom" of the problem so you're not wanting to merely cover up/hide them like with another sock etc.

In regards to testing for purity that's a long shot... unless you know what to test for it's pretty much a HUGE shot in the dark to even start testing.

It could be from something in the manufacturing/Molding/Cleaning process of any part of your tank/system if it's a contamination.

I believe it is from the packet that came with the live sand that is causing the bubbles.
But does anyone know a way to stop air from getting sucked in? I connected a U shape PVC to the pipe and then drilled a hole on the top of the PVC to let air out, but it doesn't help any..

sirrealism

your right about the packet that came with the sand. I have seen this before with the packet. Good catch.

mikecc

choke down one side with a valve? choke it down so it is more of a solid flow and the second takes the excess.

Cant tell what you are trying to show in that pic.

Not too sure about your meaning for how to keep the overflow out less submerged and keep air out

I have both the outlets joining into one pipe relatively quickly, so I really can't choke down just one side.
The last picture was showing that I tried making the water flow over a hump with a hole in the top to allow air to escape, but that didn't work. If I can get the outlet submerged the water level in the overflow quickly drops to the level of the outlet. So I don't know how to keep the air out.

sirrealism

I am with Mike I dont understand the issue. Also once that foaming stops the bubbles will not be an issue. the filter sock will keep the bubbles from going into the tank. If I remember right it takes a day or 2 for that foaming to stop.

sirrealism

Plug the hole. The air does not need to get out. if I understand what is going on. Your basiclly making a siphon and having the hole is breaking the siphon. Or am I way off. Any way you can post a few pics of you overflow system. It would help a lot