First time fraging my toadstool...pics inside.

carmexx

Hey all! Well I decided i've had enough of my toadstool taking over my tank. This is my first time fraging it let alone any soft corals. I also did some trimming of my zoanthids. I think it turned out well so far. take a look.....

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

***** Right after attaching the frags......

IMG_1186.jpg

I think thing turned out well so far. Well i do plan to trim it more. Just fyi, anyone in phila area interested in buying/trading frags pm me. it will probably be two weeks before they attach i understand.
***** A few hours after.....

IMG_1206.jpg

Pez

Yes! i saw your other post when you were debating about "trimming" it. I am glad you decide to go through with it. nice job. infact, your frags turned out so nice i have decide to frag my own. I saw what was probably the same vid on youtube but was too cautious to try it. your success has inspired me and now i think i will.:bouncer:

OHmariner

I can't tell where you trimmed it, did you tank a few small cuttings to grow some frags only or did you cut a lot off to keep the size in check and grow some frags at the same time? The frags look great, from what I hear coral is much more resilient than we realize. Ill attach a great video that has inspired me...only problem with the video is that it makes me want to buy more equipment, every time I think I have all the reef gadgets I could need I find something else I would love to have. I hope the link works OK.

borneman Coral Fragging Techniques | REEFFLIX | THE LARGEST REEF AQUARIUM VIDEO SITE ON THE WEB!

carmexx

I just cut it inside the tank....used sharp pair of scissors. Yeah you really can't tell I fragged it. It rebounded so quickly and I was nervous as this was my first cutting. Thanks for the link to the reefflix.

Rhodes19

Nice job. I have a couple of toad stools that I've been wanting to frag. I'll just have to take the plunge. :)

carmexx

Well If anyone in the tri state are wants to trade I would have them available in a few weeks hopefully.

GlassMunky

keep with the updates on their recovery. I'm just over the ben franklin bridge in Jersey and might be interested in them when they are healed out. I got a whole biocube filled with softies for trade.....

carmexx

Thanks! Today I went ahead and cut 2 more frags. When this toad expands it is huge! Anyway I've been having problems with the toothpick method. I think it is because the frags are too small. I Pulled out the 1 troublemaker(kept floating away of the disc) and super glued it. I did the same with the 2 new frags. Cross your fingers. I've read here that softies and super glue don't work well. I will have pics soon.

carmexx

Well Folks....so far unsuccessful in getting my toad frags to take hold. They have ripped from the toothpicks as they expanded. I made minor adjustments and put the toothpick on top with the rubber band still. Now they seem to be splitting down the middle. I hope they take hold. Wish me luck! I will post more pics soon. I also fragged some zoanthids and they are coming along well. I am trying to revive my blue steels. They were overcome with algae. They seem to wanna extend.

OHmariner

maybe you should try the netting method of looping some plastic mesh or netting over the frag...I would prob try some dental floss and see how it holds, maybe tie the dental floss in an x formation over the frag plug. The problem wish super glue on soft corals is the glue never really sticks to the flesh-type coral surface