First Time Fish Only tank?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Ok so I am tearing down my 150 planted tank and going saltwater fish only.

I have set up plenty of reef tanks but never a fish only so I need a little guidance/advice. I only plan to have about 5 fish in the tank so the bio load shouldn't be to hard to keep up with.

The plan for inside the tank is to use a thin layer of crushed coral that can be vaccumed easily, the decor is going to be minumal. For filtration I plan to use a fluidized sandbed, a Uv sterilizer, and a 30 gallon sump with only filter socks to catch large debri.

Please don't suggest live rock, if I could afford that I wouldn't be going fish only with this tank. Lol ;)

So I am keeping it simple, cheap, and easy to clean. Ideas suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Eric

mettjl03

Sounds like you have a good start to me... I would also add some snails and hermies to help with algae and detritus.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Well I decided to use bio balls along with the fluidized sandbed filter. My plan is to run 2x30 gallon sumps, I bought 350 1.25" bio balls suitible for a 200 gallon tank. I figure I can clean one side at a time not having to bother with disturbing and seperating half of them for clean in the same chamber.

I am going to run two fluidized sand bed filters each one rated for a 180 gallon tank.

I will also run an 18w uv sterilizer 24/7. I am going to try and find or buy up dead coral skeletons for decor so there will be some hiding places for the fish :)

Eric

DaveK

I would consider bioballs to be ok, for a FO system, provided you monitor nitrates. They can build up fast. When bio-balls were in, the recommendation was 1 gal of bioballs per 10 gal of water. It sounds like you may need a lot more.

BTW, if your interested, I have a massive supply of bio-balls that you are welcome to. PM me if interested.

I do not recommend ever using fluidized sand bed filters. The problem with them is that if the water flow ever stops for any length of time, you loose all the biological filtration the media provided. It will die.

I would recommend the use of aragocrete or dead coral rock over dead coral skeletons, and I'd use it at the same rate as live rock. You optional could use a few LR fragments to seed the LR. In other words you also want this to be a from of your biological filtration.

I would also recommend using a more powerful UV, if your going to use it at all. You want something that's going to control algae spores. BTW, don't expect it to control disease. If that is your goal, then you really need some powerful UV and even then it is not effective in all cases.

I would also recommend the use of a large powerful skimmer. It will remove a lot of fish waste products before the filtration need to deal with them.

Last edited:

Rhodes19

Instead of live rock, how about diy rock. 1 part portland cement, 4 part crushed oyster shell, and about 1 part water. Some time later you have diy rock of about $0.20 per pound. :) Just a thought.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Interesting! I am not fimilar with oyster shell where do you get that? Also how do you cure the rock and for how long?

Thanks

That is good info for the fluidized sand bed if I use them I will hook the pumps to a battery back up in case of power outages.

Keep the info coming the DIY rocks might be a definate plan just need the details.

Eric

DaveK

You can find out all about making your own aragocrete or DIY rock here (offsite) - GARF.ORG - The reef aquarium place Click on Aragocrete on the left.

The result does need to be cured for awhile, and it's usually heaver than most live rock, but it's also very inexpensive.

Rhodes19

+1 with Dave. Thats where I first got started. I got my crushed oyster shell from a local feed store. Its used to feed to chickens to help make the shell of the egg harder. I think I paid $9 for a 50 lbs bag. After you make your rock you leave it in the mold made from either sand/salt/crushed oyster shell for a couple of days and pull them out. I have a diy green house I put them in to cure. I was soaking them in water and changed the water every other day for a while and then did it weekly for a while. The goal is to leach out parts of the cement that raises the ph. Once the ph is below 9, you can add it to your tank. Depending on your water source, it should take about 8 weeks. Recently I have been reading a post by some one who knows more about cement than I do and he recommends leaving the rock out for abut 28 days keeping it moist (spray it with water periodicly) and then soak it. It is supposed to let the cement hydrate/harden better before putting it in water. My next batch I will try it his way and see what happens. As for innoculating it with bacteria, put it in your tank like base rock and it's supposed to become live just like base rock. I can tell you I have put some of my diy rock in some of my smaller tanks and had coralline growing on it in abut 3 months. Dave's right about the weight. It does feel a little bit heavier for a real rock it's size but what I like about it is I can make almost any shape and size rock I want ie. caves, ledges, rocks with legs to give better flow. Mine look ok but there are folks out there that I swear are artist!!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Here is a cool DIY link for a FSB
DIY - Acrylic Fluidized Bed Filter
I have used them for years when I was into freshwater. Very effective method but I never used them for the bacteria, mine were strong flow filters in 5 gallon buckets and I used them exclusively for polishing the water. Very similar to a diatom filters effect.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
...DIY rocks might be a definate plan just need the details.

It's got a LOT of potential especially if you want to get really "Creative" with your rock designs.

Just keep in mind it MUST be cured (as already stated) a good while before adding it to your system. For a small amount I've seen it suggested to put into the "Tank" of your toilets so you get water changes every time you flush. If you live near a good sized creek you could put it into the creek for several weeks and you'll have a constant water change. Other wise use a suitable sized container and do frequent water changes and testing once a week or so.

Here's a cool link I have saved in my FAVs for DIY Rock (it's not my video I just like it)
YouTube - 3reef contest vid