First Tank, RSM C250

Adrienne

Looking Great - glad to hear you got the skimmer sorted
Ah ha little do you know that if your skimmer is anything like mine, you will be tweaking it on a regular basis. Over skim, under skim, perfect skim, repeat, repeat.
Re the stocking, probably is well stocked. I have a pair of clownfish, a cbb, a foxface rabbitfish, a target mandarin, a pyjama cardinal and a cleaner shrimp and my tank is well stocked :)

Trinny

Let's hope my skimmer isn't as temperamental as your one Adrienne!

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think it is pretty well stocked at the moment.

Well, I hope it isn't less stocked now, one of my Bangaii Cardinals has been missing since last night and I cannot find him anywhere. I noticed last night and scanned the all around the tank for some time and checked this morning with no luck. Hopefully he was just hiding and is there when I get home.

Oxylebius

I'm curious, are you monitoring ammonia and nitrite levels? Looks like a large bio-load in a very short amount of time. If your monitoring ammonia and/or nitrite, how often?

Trinny

I started monitoring my levels (PH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates) twice a week and now once a week after the water change.

Trinhy

just tested the water and ammonia is a little higher however the water change isn't until tomorrow morning.

Oxylebius

Ah ha little do you know that if your skimmer is anything like mine, you will be tweaking it on a regular basis. Over skim, under skim, perfect skim, repeat, repeat.

Also be aware that if you are adding anything to the water the skimmer may react with either over- or under- skimming. This can be anything as innocuous as superglue and putty to some dosing chemicals. All skimmers can be affected. When this happens it is best not to mess w/ the skimmer and after an hour or so it should go back to its normal skimming.

Trinhy

Yeah I was making that mistake for a little while changing the settings went the skimmer changed with the water level or dosing

Adrienne

I dont have much choice - the salt crusted wallpaper on the walls of our rental is not making the landlords happy. If it would overskim without throwing it out the back of the tank then I could handle it.

Trinny

Adrienne, mine overskimmed (250C) a for a while overflowed into the tank not over the back of the tank, not sure if it was cause I have the skimmer box angled with the spout as far forward as possible

Trinny

Re the stocking, probably is well stocked. I have a pair of clownfish, a cbb, a foxface rabbitfish, a target mandarin, a pyjama cardinal and a cleaner shrimp and my tank is well stocked :)
Adrienne, my skimmer was going fine until I added a polishing filter and carbon filter to the sump...it has been over skimming for almost two days now

Oxylebius

Did you rinse the polishing filter and carbon filter before it went into the tank? Sometimes this helps. And get rid of the fine carbon dust that you don't want in the tank (it causes HLLE).

Trinny

I didn't rinse the filters, I'll make sure I do that next time. I forgot, another thing that is different is that when I did my water change I added 5L/1.3G of RO which I haven't had to do before.