(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavinca

Wow... i cant believe i just read all that to find out that he quit on a whim...
Maybe he should start a tank building and installation business. maybe he can pay of the debt.

althea2you

he had a 150 (something like that QT tank... what was it used for if not to QT his fish before he put them in...(i know being sick) but that what that monster set up was for! to QT fish.. dang!! sorry to hear about him giving up like that... was a beautiful system!!!

Octoman

I just read the whole thread for the first time, what a punch line at the end!!

There's definitely something to be said for starting out small and working your way up. Unfortunately, a lot of people in this hobby give up after their first crash (which almost definitely will happen at some point). I dropped out for 5 years after my heater went haywire and cooked my 20 gallon. That's why I appreciate the experience and advice I get here that helps me learn from others' mistakes and successes as well as my own.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Bart must have taken the quote "...the bigger the system, the easier it is to maintain.", a little too seriously! :bugout: :lol:

What I don't understand is how could a beginner have built such an elaborate system? He must have had outside help from someone with experience and knowledge.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think he is just gifted with his hands and did the home work on building it. If i am not mistaken, he is a builder of some sort. If you hunt in the right forums you will see a lot of step by step builds. If you are good with tools and have a mechanical frame of mind and money, you can do it.

boozeman

he is a car stereo installer....which makes him good at carpentry, electronics and general planning and modifications. Mix that with a few months of looking thru the right threads on the right boards and voila!

framerguy

When I first found this site this thread was in it's infancy. I marveled at his "first tank ever"!!?? My goodness, talk about goin' all-thuh-way!

reefjitsu

I suppose, but I don't think I would risk it, especially with such a large build. Granted, I have trust issues, and I sure wouldn't trust someone else's quarantine over mine. It is kind of like making a bet where you put up $10,000 and the other guy puts up $50. It is not a good idea unless you are certain to win the bet. A strict quarintine procedure makes sure you are going to win the bet.

Frankie

RS STAFF
This thread should be closed. I see where the responses are going. The guy was genius and bailed out. I commend him for trying.

panmanmatt

This thread should be closed. I see where the responses are going. The guy was genius and bailed out. I commend him for trying.

I agree. Nothing really useful can be added to this thread. Lock it down and use it for it's knowledge and experience.

cbui2

I am so sorry guys, but I totally forgot I posted this and was supposed to be a prank :D. hope ya can forgive me all

after all that hard work and dedication I could never see myself tearing down the system which i had never begun
to enjoy in the first place. heres what been done for the past 4 months

1. 125gal weekly water changes
2. remove and replace top layer sand bed weekly
3. clean & remove detritus for sump monthly
4. clean & remove detritus for 1st fuge tank monthly (no sand bed)
5. no cleaning require for 2ng fuge tank since snails and crabs are taking care of most of the work for me w/5"
sand bed. just mag float to keep front glass clean
6. clean & remove detritus for frag tank monthly
7. finish lighting rack, added 8 36" & 3 72" VHO's super actinic w/ 9 PFO moonlights,
3 Reef Optix V Reflectors w/400w PFO Ballast and 3 separate circuits feed the light rack
8. clean skimmer pumps every 3 months, neck every 3 days. i really need to get the SCH.

just about caught up in work and reef keeping so I will be able to make more time on the forum with current updates.

if anyones here on the forum is still interested i will continue to post, again i am sorry for any misunderstanding

Status
Not open for further replies.