First reactor! Ever!

jkef2010

Adding a gfo reactor to my tank to combat my ongoing GHA problem. This is my first reactor is there anything I should worry about using gfo like reactions from the coral or anything will it harm anything I guess is what I'm asking.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You want to very gently tumble gfo, if it's tumbled to heavily it can break down and harm corals from what I have read... see what others think - should be a nice addition, I know several members run them and gfo does a good job reducing/binding phosphates

BRS sells some high quality gfo

Last edited:

OnTheSQ

I've just had an upgrade and brought two reactors for my rsm130 running bio pellets in one and rowaphos in the othe just steady tumble. Watching this post. I'm gonna post thread with pics as well

sirrealism

I am one of those reefers who had tumbled there GFO to hard. It broke down and came out of the reactor and made a dust storm in my tank which killed a couple corals and made the rest mad. So make sure the flow in the reactor is very low. I was using BRS GFO. Its a great product and was not the GFOs fault. I have been doing this for 20 years and had never had a need for a reactor or GFO but I had ended up with higher then I wanted P04 and was looking for the easy way to remove it. I dont run it on any of my tanks but then again I have .08 P04 in all 5 reefs so no need. If it was to get up to .25 I would use it again

mikecc

I like to tumble it pretty hard when I put it online, run the 1st couple of gallons into a bucket until it clears up. Have new salt water on hand to replenish volume.