First Anemone?

SaltyEDGE06

I was thinking of getting an anemone. What do I need and what do I not have to get the simplest of anemones to do good in my tank? I've read a small amount on feeding them but nothing to in depth, thought someone who maybe was once in this same situation could enlighten me on the details haha.

vdituri

What is the kind of lighting and the Watt rating of them?
Lights are probably THE most important aspect of keeping an anemone.

SaltyEDGE06

I'm not completely sure, it's a light that came with the tank and I got it from a garage sale awhile back. I just went and checked for a label or something and there was nothing, is there a way I can check? I know eventually it will go out and I will be forced to but I'd rather figure it out before this haha.

vdituri

Can you take a picture of the light bulbs to figure out what kind they are?

Large flourescents about 1"+ across are T12's.
Smaller ones are T5's and T8"s.

There should be some kind of description on the bulbs with a Watt rating.
It can make the difference between a thriving anemone and a dead one.
They get a lot of their nutrition from the symbiotic algae that lives inside of their cells.

chipmunkofdoom2

Your sig says your tank is only a few months old and that it's your first tank. For those 2 reason alone, I'd recommend you hold off on getting one for a while. They need pretty stable water parameters, along with strong lighting. Not something for a novice.

Nothing wrong with being a novice, mind you.. we all were there at one time. Just give it a little time :)

SaltyEDGE06

This is why I like the advice of people who know haha! So that's awesome I didn't just jump into it, yes I am novice; understand where your coming from there but can't help it ever since I got interested I've wanted to jump right into everything. I'll check the lighting for any information, and get back to you.

Oh and if I were to get one, I thought of the lack of sufficient time my tank has been up as a factor, but it has been cycled and set as well as added with cultured bacteria so I feel it's for the most part adequate for a hardy anemone, not a fragile one.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's not ALL about the time it was set up. What you need is a tank that's been STABLE for many months. A tank is constantly in a state of change and maturing for a long time after it's set up. You want to know that the tank is stable and steady because any anemone is UBER sensitive to changes.

On a side note (well not really) you're in the MIDDLE of tank issues and honestly it would be hard to find a WORSE time to add anything to your tank.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/44633-nitrites-nitrates.html

You've just (as of yesterday) realized why you think you had high NO2/NO3 problems and now you suspect some type of fish "poisoning". Woa there buddy.. slow down and let things "stew" for a while. No sense in rushing it because ONLY bad things happen quick in a Reef Tank.

jjohnson3

I would not reccommend any anemone for anyone unless their tank is at least 6-9 months. The reason for this is so that your tank has stabalized enough to ware there is no major swings in chemistry and that you as the aquarist know how to keep basic organisms alive. Dont let all of this strike you the wrong way. I was just giving you basic information you will read in many many places and in my own experiences.

yungreefer2410

you shouldn't really use a airstone in a reef tank. also IMO you tank is not ready for an anemone until it has matured for like 6 months

SaltyEDGE06

Thanks "bud" for the concern. I don't plan on rushing anything, just trying to get some information...

Why shouldn't I use an air stone? It's a fish only tank with fake substrate..I don't plan on adding corals or anything of that sort to make it a mini reef.

Thanks for the information, it's why I made the thread..I'm inexperienced.