Filter sponge and floss

How ofter are you supposed to clean the black sponge and white floss on the 130? I noticed after about a week the water level in the back was uneven because the floss was caked up...

Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I rinsed mine in warm running tap water at the sink & then shake it dry - the black one - every 3 or 4 days - the finer filter floss, if I stir up the tank, as often as 3 or 4 times a day or 2 or 3 times a week as needed.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
In the 130/130D flow a big key... and clogged filters can really change water level & how the skimmer works... you can dial it in to what works best for you...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Plugged up filters will drop the water level in back, so they can mess up an ATO keeping things constant. If the level in back drops too much, and the ATO makes up for this, the level in the main tank can go up too high.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
in my 130D I cut it down 1/3 of it... and I replaced it once at about 1 1/2 year in... when through tons of the finer white/blue filters - the black won't trap much... if you always run a square of the white/blue on top & rinse every few days at sink, only takes a minute... cut a new square of the white/blue & replace it twice a month - big sheet last a long time & is cheap.

Glen-

So cut the black until there is 1/3 left or 2/3 ?
Only need to rinse the white every few days or both the black and white
What is the name of the white/blue for big sheets..... Filter Floss?

THANKS!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you are very welcome! Terry's links above are the white/blue finer filter...

I ran 2/3's of the black

IMG_1088.jpg

Do you guys find it necessary to run the black filter? I have just been running the finer floss sice I started the system. Do you see any benefit in having a piece of the black sponge below it?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just used the black sponge as a setting for my white / blue square & a secondary trap of food particles... I always positioned mine to sit just below the back gate, just pushing it down maybe 1" below this...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
sorry I have always manually top off my tanks... sure some members can advise I would say about 1/3 or more run them...

If I remember right, I see them in the back, left of the skimmer a lot...